Author Topic: Check your emergency procedures  (Read 3730 times)

BobM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: SM on La Cage Aux Folles at Gualala Art Center
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Check your emergency procedures
« on: Jul 05, 2016, 07:28 pm »
TLDR: Please, double check your emergency procedures. Know where the AED/first aid kit is located. Have emergency contact numbers written down.

Long version:
I volunteer at a small community theater as the stage manager. This weekend we had project days scheduled: working on light cues, painting the stage, working on the set.
The plan was all day Saturday and Sunday until we finished except I had to start painting the stage by 3pm for it to dry for our Monday rehearsal.
Late Sunday afternoon, it was down to the director, his partner (the stagecraft expert), and me (the novice stage manager) left at the theater.
With only a strip of six feet of stage left to paint, two women come running in through our back door reporting they saw someone laying by the dumpster.
After telling them to stop because the stage floor is wet paint, I run off to get the AED for them. The director is already running outside.
I then return to the phone to call 911 (without knowing anything specific about the victim or the emergency.)

The victim was our beloved handyman. The director did CPR until the ambulance arrived. Unfortunately, this wasn't a play with a happy ending.
Rehearsal was cancelled on Monday and replaced with a tearful gathering. Tonight we're going to try to see if we can move forward towards opening night at the end of the month.

I wish the outcome wasn't so grim. But we were prepared even though I didn't consider a serious emergency a remote possibility.
So, please... double check your emergency procedures. Take a CPR class. Know where the AED/first aid kit is located. Have a plan. Teach the cast/crew how to respond.
And, tell everyone on your crew how much you appreciate (and love them) next time you see them.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Check your emergency procedures
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2016, 07:38 pm »
BobM, I am so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this with the SMNetwork community. How fortunate that your beloved colleague was found, and attended to, by kind, caring, skilled people who knew him -- and especially, by people who treasure his memory and contributions.

BobM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2016, 01:34 am »
I survived the first rehearsal with just a few tears. Tomorrow night will get easier.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2016, 03:32 am »
I hope you have someone outside the show to talk with about this?

BobM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2016, 07:03 pm »
Thanks PSMKay and megf. Your words of encouragement have helped me give myself permission to be sad and to make sure I'm taking care of myself.
It is a little hard at the moment, but I'm going to remember to have fun at the next rehearsal.
Bob

riotous