Author Topic: ARTICLE: Work Balance  (Read 2749 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
ARTICLE: Work Balance
« on: Mar 29, 2012, 11:37 pm »
http://lifehacker.com/5897637/go-the-fk-home

(Some inferred adult language . . . )
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

TheSingingSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: Company Management Resident - Long Wharf Theatre
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: ARTICLE: Work Balance
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2012, 07:05 pm »
This was a pretty good point. I'll be honest in that I'm the kind of person who will allow work to consume my life for a while. However, I'm making an effort to outgrow this habit. Also, on side note, I was just stressing myself out just a moment ago before I watched this. After watching it, stress gone.

Thank you very much, Mr. Shiner!

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2012, 01:39 pm »
Wonderfully on point. Especially in this industry where martyrdom is such an issue... I have definitely had to learn to prioritize my time at work so I'm not spending more time than necessary on anything.

On my current show my cast is all a pretty tight group who are all friends, and for the life of me I don't understand why they are always at work early (several show up at crew call) and they all stay at least a half hour post show lingering and chatting... all while complaining that they are underpaid and overworked. Their actual time commitment required is only 2.5 hours per show (including half hour call and getting out of costume post show) yet they're there at least 3.5-4 hours a show.

Meanwhile my entire call is 3.5 hours and I only stray from that if there should be extenuating circumstances to deal with.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

TheSingingSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: Company Management Resident - Long Wharf Theatre
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2012, 01:52 pm »
It's funny. Starting out...well, who am I kidding? I'm still starting out. I used to arrive at the theatre an hour before everyone else instead of my usual thirty minutes before just to get preshow set up underway and closer to being done. I would do this for peace of mind. However, my desperation for peace of mind was depriving the crew and my asm's their jobs; and I lost valuable opportunities to practice delegation and learning to "let someone else do it and trust them to do it because I took the time to instruct them how to do it". That was (well, to a lesser extent, is) one of the things I do where I completely mess up my work balance. That plus going home with all the worries in the world on my shoulders and making myself miserable. I'm slowly growing out of that....