Author Topic: Article: Opera Australia sacks soprano over gay slurs  (Read 2371 times)

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/opera/opera-australia-sacks-soprano-tamar-iveri-over-gay-slurs-20140623-zsiol.html

It's been an interesting start to the week.  My personal feeling is that there was never going to be any other result but this one - there couldn't be.  I was ready to walk out with the orchestra if it came to that. 

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
Re: Article: Opera Australia sacks soprano over gay slurs
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2014, 04:21 am »
I've been following this as well. While I agree that this was the only possible outcome, there are a few people (including myself), who think it's turned into a bit of a lynching - without a huge amount of verification and fact-finding. Don't get me wrong, I fully believe that homophobic people (and their comments) have no place in the arts (let alone the rest of the world) - but I don't want a good singer to have her career destroyed by misrepresentation.

See this post for more thoughts by another person:
http://slippedisc.com/2014/06/slippedisc-editorial-an-unedifying-episode-in-the-march-to-equal-rights/

C

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2014, 04:35 am »
I agree that she has been perhaps subjected to a lynching which should not have happened - a lot of people have jumped on the bandwagon.  However there has been some fairly detailed investigations going on by various people and some of her explanations (the gay march the same day as the church service to honour war dead) proved to be false (they were not the same day).  And blaming her husband (but saying in an earlier interview that her views agreed with his) is also less than ideal.  I will fight to the death for the right to hold an opinion, no matter who doesn't agree with said opinion, but I don't think there's a place for hate speech, vilification and incitement to violence anywhere in the world.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2014, 04:40 pm »
And yet I have a sickly feeling that, if it weren't for the subscribers and sponsors getting itchy, nothing would have happened...