Author Topic: Article: Finding PHAMALy  (Read 2733 times)

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
Article: Finding PHAMALy
« on: Oct 15, 2012, 08:13 am »
Stage Directions Article: Finding PHAMALy

An interview with Denver's Physically Handicapped Actors and Musical Artists League which includes the stage manager's perspective of working with a cast made up entirely of disable actors. 

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
Re: Article: Finding PHAMALy
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2012, 08:51 am »
Great article! We've had young casts where one or more had to use canes or wheelchairs, they simply blossom onstage.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2012, 12:32 pm »
I am so glad to read about other companies doing this work. Here in LA, we have a young troupe about 2 years in and struggling to exist called "Blue Zone" (as in, the color painted on curbs and spaces for disabled folks), and a nationally recognized company focusing on work for and by deaf and hard-of-hearing artists. Those of us like Erin Ramsey (mentioned in the article) who know how easy it is to work with and adjust to disabled performers have such an important opportunity to share our experience and help convince fearful directors and producers to give wonderful actors who happen to have a disability a fair shot at sharing their talents.

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2012, 05:45 pm »
I work with a hearing company just entering our second year in residence at a Deaf school, and part of our residency agreement is that we cast students in our professional productions. Our attempts at being accessible for Deaf actors and patrons has led us to begin working with actors who have other disabilities as well. In my last show with this company we had a legally blind actor (let me tell you - it's really quite scary being the one on deck to hand off a rifle with bayonet to a guy who can't see it) and in this next one we've got a Deaf student actor who is also physically disabled. Actually, we're doing an adaptation of a Christmas Carol and he'll be playing Tiny Tim. We can't get around the fact that he has difficulties walking, but we might as well give him a chance to use what he's got, rather than casting an able-bodied person as a character who is disabled!