Author Topic: ARTICLE: 5 Reasons To Keep A Work Diary  (Read 6997 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: ARTICLE: 5 Reasons To Keep A Work Diary
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2011, 01:42 pm »
I really like the idea of a work diary...it's just the time requirement.  I've thought about starting one, but the time required to actually sit down, remember, think about it and analyze seems too much. Some days you just want to forget (like today, hence the SMNetwork procrastination...)

I do realize how big of a BS excuse that is though, so maybe we'll try again and see how it goes...

Anyone actually keep one out there?

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2011, 02:05 pm »
I do keep one, but it's not a daily journal. At the end of a show or gig, I write an entry with the names of people I worked with, things I learned, things that went well, things to improve on, and things to remember if I work with that company or those people again. Going over it each time I write a new entry helps me see where I've been growing and reflect on the specific challenges I did or did not overcome on specific projects.

It's also super helpful to review the journal before job interviews. Then names and locations are fresh in my mind and it makes questions about things like solving a problem, shows that went particularly well or poorly, and strengths/weaknesses much easier to answer without sounding over-rehearsed.

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2011, 02:13 pm »
I journal in the mornings about the previous day, but limit the writing to one page.  The one page limit makes it manageable and doing it after a night's sleep prevents it from being just venting, it helps me see the big picture.  I tend to write when I'm waiting for coffee to finish brewing, its worth the time.

It ends up being a mix of personal and work things, but it is really helpful as a freelancer when I go back to work for or with people I've worked with before.  I can see what was frustrating, where I grew, what was a surprise, what I need to work on, and reminds me when I should just say no to certain situations or opportunities.  There is certainly the release factor that the article mentions, but I value it as a way to see patterns and to grow from my own assessment of what worked or what didn't. 

In order for this to be beneficial I have to really focus on my part in things, in the things that I can control, rather than on other people's work.  You can only write a complain about something three days in a row before you sit back and say, "wait this is familiar, is there something I'm doing wrong, is there another possibility here I'm just not seeing?" 

Anyone else do something similar?

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2011, 05:22 pm »
http://www.austinkleon.com/2010/01/31/logbook/

I keep a log book- I've never been very successful with daily journaling, but I got the idea from the link above. It's really just like journaling through list making, and I've been able to do it pretty consistently because it isn't very time consuming, and it's easy to keep track of it as the day goes by rather than in one big chunk of time at the end of the day. It's actually ended up being helpful with a couple of things- looking back I say "Oh man, I've eaten out for lunch every day this week, I should cut back." or "I know I went to Hobby Lobby at some point last week, but I didn't write it down on my mileage sheet..." 
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2011, 04:56 pm »
My planner serves two purposes. I use it to forecast my future scheduling, but I also go back and recount the day. Its very useful for keeping events straight -- sometimes days and weeks can get kind of fuzzy.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2011, 05:21 pm »
Very interesting read.  I think I will try this for a month, starting tomorrow.  Sounds like it will be a great tool for self-improvement. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2011, 06:01 pm »
I have kept a logbook/journal for a few years, but it wasn't focused on work in any way. More of a way to keep track of what happened and when. I added a "work diary" component a few weeks ago when this was posted- just a quick jotting down about my day.

It helps keep me on track with my short-term career goals and gives me a great perspective on myself. I second what lsears said about seeing larger patterns in your work, and it being a way to really focus on myself.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2014, 12:47 am »
Along the same lines....the 30 second habit. Particularly interesting is the potential for better listening, and asking better questions.

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 01:35 pm »
Interesting take! I've been an on and off journaler since I was kid (those of you who are laughing and saying I am a kid...I mean 6). I was recently on an off period, and started using Evernote, because of how much quicker I am at typing nowadays. I've found I use the mobile app for writing down little snippets like the 30 second habit. I haven't been using it for work related things, but now I'm wondering if I should start.