Author Topic: ARTICLE: 21-year-old stage manager killed in fireworks explosion Texas  (Read 5632 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2015, 11:35 pm by PSMKay »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
I don't see her or the PSM on the SMNetwork member list, but I do see a couple of people who have listed "TEXAS! A Musical Drama" as a current gig in their profiles anywhere from 2-5 years ago. It appears that most of these SMs are college undergrads or recently graduated.

The ASM was the one who was caught in the pyro explosion during preshow check. She was a junior at U. of Alabama.

Found the PSM's LinkedIn page, she graduated in May from High Point in NC. This is her 2nd summer working this gig.

Not to knock the younger members of the community, but I remember my level of experience when I was doing stock in college. They've got a cast of 60+ people, plus horses and fireworks-display level pyro, in an outdoor environment SMed by a team led by 20-23 year olds. This has been the case for at least the 5 years based on our user base. The show itself has been running for 50 years. I hate to say it but I can't believe this is the first incident.