Author Topic: Any other crafters out there?  (Read 9543 times)

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Any other crafters out there?
« on: Jul 25, 2010, 01:33 am »
I know there are several of you out there that knit and crochet.  I am an obsessed crocheter (hooker).  I am make mostly hats and amigurumi.  My current trend (read: obsession) is with Sock Monkeys.  I just can't stop making them (crochet though, not using real socks).

What about you?  What are you making?

Also- I recently discovered a great resource for the crafty among us.  www.ravelry.com

It's a huge site with billions of members from all over the world.  I am totally addicted to looking at pictures of other peoples projects.

Here are some pictures of my two most recent projects:

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2010, 01:36 am by Jessie_K »

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
Re: Any other crafters out there?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2010, 01:00 pm »
Wow!  I love the two headed monkey!  My husband would call it creepy, but I'm pretty sure he thinks peanut butter is creepy, so no surprise there.

Most of my crafting in the last few years has been sewing projects, other crafts associated with various costumes, and home repair/improvement sort of things.  Nothing terribly exciting, right now.  I love to see what other people are doing, though.  My favorite thing about creativity is how it manifests itself differently in each person.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2010, 02:57 pm »
Wowzers! I would LOVE a crocheted sock monkey! Those are ADORABLE!!!

I actually craft quite a bit. I have my undergraduate degree in fine arts in sculpture so I've learned to work with all sorts of media and how to craft and which materials work well and which don't.  I experiment a lot obviously as well.

During the holiday season, I make photo ornaments. I get pretty elaborate with them but unfortunately, don't have any photos of them handy.  I take clear craft bulb ornaments and insert laser printed photos on the interior.  Then decorate in various ways. I will have to start taking photos of them. :)  My description really sounds lack luster but they really turn out great most of the time.  Tricky craft but worth it with a little patience.

I also make homemade lip balms and am researching how to make chapsticks and experimenting with different recipes.
**Edited to show a photo example of my craft:

Unfortunately, this isn't a great photo to show the detail.  The images are on the inside wall of the bulb.  I usually coat the inside with all glitter, but this time, I only coated the bottom of the interior with a fine shimmery glitter, filing it with fuzzy, fancy craft snowballs: a look and feel inspired by the soft dusty snowfall. The interior of this particular design, unlike many of the ornaments I create, can be seen so I fill it with fun lightweight things.  Other designs include exterior designs with gems or beads or glittery designs and such. On this one:  The outside says "Roman's First Christmas 2009" - which is the name of my nephew. The hook on the top is not shown but I take a thin gauge wire (used for things like beaded jewelry) and twist designs, threading tiny decorative beads and really tiny jingle bells on it.  It's tricky not to break the beads. 

These are much more fun to see in person....trust me.  This is NOT a great image  unfortunately. More photos will be taken during the holidays, when everyone I know has their home made ornament out.  There are many out there but few photos exist.  I don't photograph my work much...though I should.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2010, 10:55 pm by AmieBaj »
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2010, 06:55 am »
I would love to see the photos of your ornaments!  I totally understand what you are going for from your description.  It sounds like a great personalized gift.

My current project is a little lizard for one of the costume ladies.  She is due to have a baby in December.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2010, 08:18 am »
Must. Buy. Two. Headed. Monkey.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2010, 11:11 am »
I used to be a big knitter, but currently it's too hot to knit.

I love to build things....currently working on turning a Nok Hockey set into a coffee table for my boyfriend's apartment.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2010, 12:21 pm »

Oh yes.

I've been on Ravelry for some time too. It's a great pattern resource and even better time waster! Find me on there if you'd like, I'm MarcieA.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2010, 03:10 pm »
Always look at the shelf before you pick stuff up at costco.  Bottle of detergent exploded on me.  On the plus side, I'm now april fresh.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2010, 10:59 am »
Kay, did you mean that post to be in the "what did you learn today" thread?  LOL

Post Merge: Jul 27, 2010, 11:05 am

I love to build things....currently working on turning a Nok Hockey set into a coffee table for my boyfriend's apartment.

Pardon me for asking, but what is Nok Hockey?

Construction projects are AWESOME crafts!
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2010, 11:05 am by Jessie_K »

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2010, 01:30 pm »
Kay, did you mean that post to be in the "what did you learn today" thread?  LOL

Post Merge: Jul 27, 2010, 11:05 am

Pardon me for asking, but what is Nok Hockey?

Construction projects are AWESOME crafts!

Nok Hockey is a wooden game that's sort of a cross between air hockey and pool. The board looks like this:

we're putting some plexi on the top and adding some legs.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2010, 10:22 am »
That's an awesome idea!  It's gonna be one cool table!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2010, 10:47 am »
What a great idea!  How cool that would be in my apartment.  All I'd need to do is stain the outside wood to match my furniture and add legs.  Got an extra hockey table?  ;)
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

yomanda

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2010, 04:23 pm »
I also like to crochet, mostly baby blankets for my friends.  I love the fuzzy Baby Bee yarn from Hobby Lobby because it is so soft!

I just got back from an 8 day "vacation" in Illinois (an 11 hour drive from where I live) where I helped my brother and his wife paint the interior of their new house.  Which is another of my hobbies I suppose you could say, although it's not really a proper "craft."  Actually, painting is one of the things I like to do to relieve stress.  When we're putting up a show helping paint the set becomes therapy because typically by that time I'm so fried, I enjoy the mindlessness of simply painting.  And I love the instant gratification of changing the look of a room with a new color.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2010, 11:02 pm »
What a great idea!  How cool that would be in my apartment.  All I'd need to do is stain the outside wood to match my furniture and add legs.  Got an extra hockey table?  ;)

Found ours at the Goodwill. I love finding things and fixing them up (I stained and repaired my Goodwill-found coffee table- I'm very proud of that).

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2010, 11:30 pm »
Painting can totally count as a craft.  Interior design can be a craft. 

I also love to paint.  Walls, canvas, found objects, anything. 

Painting walls definitely counts as a craft, there is prep and art and clean up involved and when you are finished you can admire your work and show it to others.  Sounds pretty crafty to me.