Author Topic: Life (As Seen Through Performance Reports)  (Read 3554 times)

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Life (As Seen Through Performance Reports)
« on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:31 pm »
Sometimes you just need to create a goofy topic and hope it brightens your day a touch.

If All the World is a Stage, then there must be performance reports for everyday activities. What I'm looking for here are news events put through the lens of a Performance Report. For instance:

"During this afternoon's performance of POTUS, Mr. Obama slammed his left hand on the table after signing the DADT bill. This was an unexpected blocking change, and resulted in a slight stinging sensation in his palm for the rest of the performance. We gave him an ice pack back after the show."

Or

"Tonight's performance of Convenience Clerks was abruptly interrupted when a 1989 blue Crown Victoria was driven through the set by a patron. The show was halted for a few moments for the cast to figure out how to finish the show with a car blocking their path to the store entrance, then realizing there was no longer a wall and the show could continue."

Give us a show title, the event as seen through a Performance Report, and how it was resolved or dealt with. Standby silliness, Silliness: Go!

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Life (As Seen Through Performance Reports)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:40 pm »
Tonight's performance of A Restful Week Before Christmas screeched to a halt near the end of Act I when the stage floor started to make 'squishing' sounds. Apparently the water heater ruptured without notice during preshow and water leaked under the stage floor, creating huge quantities inconvenience and worries of mold growth. All future performances of A Restful Week Before Christmas have been indefinitely postponed.

stgmngr

• New to Town
  • Live. Laugh. Love.
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:52 pm »
Tonight's performance of Finals!: the Musical on Ice went really well for questions 1 through 5, but after that the actors got Artaud and Cocteau mixed up for a brief moment. By question 7, they had moved on , and the performance went smoothly. 'A' standing ovation was given at the end of the show.

JoeSM

• Tourist
  • A recent college grad working at STC in DC.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Shakespeare Theatre Company, Indiana University Department of Theatre & Drama, Indiana University Jacob's School of Music, SMA, EMC, USITT, USITT SMMP
  • Current Gig: Henry IV Parts 1 & 2 in repertory
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2010, 04:05 pm »
During the second day of work shopping Joe in America Part I: New Year's Approaches, a number of audience members suggested a change of scenery for the climax of the show (which is of course New Year's Eve).  The director and leading man of the show have decided to rewrite the location of Act II to take place in Atlanta, GA instead of Louisville, KY.  How this rewrite will be realized is still unknown, but the props people have informed me there is a 1998 Honda Civic in stock along with a collection of musical theater soundtracks and a polar pop cup, so please keep an eye on your email for any additional changes. 

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:23 pm »
Incorporating a 6-year-old child into Cooking added an extra 20mins to the runtime, and resulted in pink frosting on most of the set.

COSTUMES: Can we get aprons for the 6-year-old for the next performance? Should aid in laundry needs.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2010, 11:56 pm »
Last night's annual performance of Children's Christmas Eve Mass was halted briefly at 1 minute to Go when, suddenly, the crucifix panel fell off its pole. Crew were unable to reaffix in time, so actor playing Altar Boy 1 joined his compatriot at the end of the processional. Was not an issue as technically speaking Christ had yet to be born, however Props should reaffix as soon as possible, certainly in time for Easter Sunday at the latest.
[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 01:04 pm »
My Weekly Shopping was interrupted--again--by the unexpected introduction of snow, blocking all exits and entrances and creating chaos on the stage for everyone involved while audience members were left to fend for themselves. Will speak to the producer again re: moving to an indoor venue, but I keep getting fobbed off on his hippy longhaired son, so I'm not hopeful.

riotous