Author Topic: "The Sound of Music" Live on NBC  (Read 5271 times)

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
"The Sound of Music" Live on NBC
« on: Dec 04, 2013, 05:31 pm »
There's more press and word-of-mouth about "The Sound of Music" Live than I thought the general public would care to engage in - I'm happy and sad about it (Carrie Underwood? Really? But yay musical theatre on TV?) My Facebook feed is awash with invites for viewing parties with drinking games ("Reverend Mother!"= 2 shots).

What does everyone think? Do you think The Sound of Music was a good choice? Are they crazy to do this live?

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: "The Sound of Music" Live on NBC
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2013, 06:49 pm »
I'm with you....Carrie Underwood??? Really??!??!
But if it draws attention to live performance, all the better.
I like your drinking game idea though....might be the only way I can tolerate Underwood....

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:06 am »
So what did everyone think?

My opinion: Carrie Underwood was thrown to the wolves. She's got the chops to sing the part but I equated her acting performance to a steamroller. There was no moment she wouldn't simply roll through. I enjoyed the set, the lighting was a strangely necessary hybrid of film/tv lighting and theatrical lighting, and I thought some of the costumes were amazing. I also thought some of the costume decisions were horribly unflattering to the leading lady occasionally making her look like a frappin' tank (I think specifically when they had her wedding dress layered underneath another costume).

It's hard for me to figure out how much traction this got in a national audience considering all my social media networks revolve around people who would watch this. I hope the ratings were good enough and strong enough that this becomes a new NBC tradition at the holidays. I'd love to see them continually put up and tear down sets at the old Grumman plant on Long Island every year and perform a live musical. And should they cast Carrie again next year, I'm sure she will have improved by leaps and bounds in her acting.

And for the love of all that is holy, give them a curtain call next year and bring in an audience to react to the performance. I felt so empty after the songs when they pushed right on without stopping.

Edit: I would also add that I find the general malaise I've seen coming from my friends in musical theater world a touch hypocritical. I include myself in some of my jokes I made last night, too but then again I never held myself to a standard where that was unacceptable.

But remember how everyone got up in arms about the actress who ripped Into the Woods apart? I remember how there was talk about supporting those within the community and you shouldn't be a critical voice. I found it interesting that some of those same people who wrecked Morgan James were on social media ripping Carrie Underwood apart.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2013, 10:54 am by nick_tochelli »

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2013, 01:19 pm »
There are a lot of times when I miss doing live theatre and all the trappings that come with it. 

Last night was not one of them.  A quick scroll through my Facebook feed revealed nothing more than overly dramatic and extremely critical judgements.   

Though I left live theatre for business/financial reasons I can say with certainty I do not miss the garbage that spews from the mouths of some folks like lava from a volcano. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2013, 02:45 pm »
But remember how everyone got up in arms about the actress who ripped Into the Woods apart? I remember how there was talk about supporting those within the community and you shouldn't be a critical voice. I found it interesting that some of those same people who wrecked Morgan James were on social media ripping Carrie Underwood apart.

True. Definitely have to admit I jumped to conclusions about the whole thing before it even happened...but I found myself talking with people more about the exposure to musical theatre and the opportunity for those involved yesterday, which was nice.  Not to mention with the recent passing of Nelson Mandela, shouldn't we all be a little bit more peaceful and supportive of our fellow artists anyway?  I know I could be.

Someone posted this today as well.

But another aspect someone brought up in the office today:
Is this helpful of theatre? Or is it troubling to see live performances on television when people aren't necessarily leaving their homes to see live theatre?

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2013, 02:58 pm »
But another aspect someone brought up in the office today:
Is this helpful of theatre? Or is it troubling to see live performances on television when people aren't necessarily leaving their homes to see live theatre?

That's a great point, I will post it as a new topic since I know it's a great point of discussion. Let's keep this one specifically to SOM Live.

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2013, 06:11 pm »
I guess my question is, why do it as a soap/TV/obviously in a soundstage, when you could just film a live theatrical performance - with theatrical sets & lighting, audience reaction, quick changes & all.  I enjoy watching Great Performances when I can't get to see things in person (yes I know its not live, but still).  I feel everybody would have bought into the convention better.  To be honest, I was working, I didn't see the whole thing, just snip-its, but what I saw, I felt didn't do the show justice.  Also, people were expecting to see the movie, not the stage version of the show - more confusion and disappointment among those who grew up with Julie Andrews and didn't know there was a stage version.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2013, 09:46 am »
I honestly prefer them stepping out of the live theatrical performance and doing it on the sound stage the way they did. It affords them more opportunities to perform TV and theatrical magic at once like those wonderful cuts from the Home into the Abby and the Home into the Concert Hall. Of course...that was basically it...but still.

I think if they continue with it I'd love to see more things like that. I do agree not having an audience is a horrible detriment to what we're used to. I've seen a lot of people complaining about the constant hiss. I thought nothing of it because I'm so used to hearing performances through monitors it barely even registered.

I think those that were expecting the movie did not understand what was going on around them. It was put out there repeatedly that this wasn't the movie. Its just been so long since there was a TV Musical broadcast people just forgot what these were supposed to be.

Zimmy54

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • Sarah Zimmerman's Portfolio
  • Current Gig: The Music Man
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2013, 01:38 pm »
I loved having this on television, while casting could have been done differently, its sparked some great conversations with my family and friends about what I do and why I love it. Its peaked some people's interest in live theater or at least live performance which I think can only help the theater world.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2013, 03:59 pm »
Little anecdote for you. I was in a cafe today by myself, sitting next to an elderly couple. I was reading the news but also eavesdropping a bit.

Him: Did you hear they redid The Sound of Music?
Her: No, how was it?
Him: Terrible! The original was three hours long. They cut out a whole hour and crammed in a bunch of stuff that was never there in the first place.
Her: Oh, that sounds awful.
Him: And they had that Audra McDonald lady in it as their 'star.' I don't consider her a star, she's never been in any movies or anything. No TV or movie stars at all.

She nodded sadly.

Him: And there was no love story between the Captain and Maria like there was in the original. No love at all. They had the Captain in love with some other woman for the whole movie, can you believe that!

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2013, 01:05 am »
Amusingly - esp as I actually do prefer the play version - the original movie was on tonite. And holy cow what a difference actual actors make in the lead roles, not just in the supporting cast!

yomanda

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: \"The Sound of Music\" Live on NBC
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2014, 04:36 pm »
Something else to look forward to.  :)

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-NBC-Sets-PETER-PAN-as-Next-Live-Musical-Produced-by-Craig-Zadan-and-Neil-Meron-20140119

Post Merge: Jan 19, 2014, 04:38 pm
My husband just suggested Justin Bieber for the role of Peter Pan.  Hahaha!
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2014, 04:38 pm by yomanda »

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:43 am »
Wonder if the Peter will propose to Wendy in this version....?

riotous