Author Topic: Working with parents of young actors or people you know  (Read 3267 times)

Caroline Naveen

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Hello All,
Here's the problem: I am PA/Child Guardian during a production of Les Miserables. Because of the set and equipment the kids need to be run to their entrances and picked up after their exits, but I also have normal run crew duties. I can totally run both during a show, however one of the kids in the cast is an old friend of the family and his/her mother likes to come up to me all the time and offer points, suggestions and things to change about the way I work. I suck it up and take it, but she offers suggestions every spare minute she has, even while not at work. I don't mind her wanting to be involved, and am enjoying some constructive critiques but there comes a point, especially during tech and the early run process, where it get's downright irritating. Is there a way to help draw a very clear line between friend and professional relations. i.e. conversations like I don't see why it's such a big deal to ask (stage manager) if such and such child (30 seconds of stage time) can get released before the curtain call. 1 it's not your child I understand where your coming from but if it such an issue I'd rather the parents or guardian of that child come to me. Which was what I responded with in this instance, but the point was pushed until I was just like you sort of have a point I'll bring it up with the SM. I hate to bother the stage manager with questions like these, especially during the technical process. In my opinion she's in the show she's blocked in the curtain call so yes she needs to stay. This has become especially difficult as this lady has become my ride to and from the theatre on more than one occasion because I can't drive yet. What should I do?
Thanks,
Caroline

SMrobyn

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: SM - 7 Stories
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Working with parents of young actors or people you know
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2013, 08:46 am »
I work in children's theatre a LOT, and in community theatre, where the parents always seem to either want nothing to do with the show or they want far too much personal involvement. If I were you I would just tell her "Look, it's out of my hands, the director has blocked that child for the curtain call and every single person in the show should be on the same page. The child will have to stay" and if she insists (especially when it isn't her child) just repeat that it is out of your hands and that stage management is busy with more pressing matters. I know it sucks to worry about offending someone but truly, this is your job and your job requires an amount of respect. Without pushing other people around, you can't let yourself get pushed around.
Good luck!
A dream is a wish your heart makes... And I dream of lighting cues, prop sheets, quick changes and prompt books :)

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2013, 09:06 am »
his/her mother likes to come up to me all the time and offer points, suggestions and things to change about the way I work. I suck it up and take it, but she offers suggestions every spare minute she has, even while not at work. I don't mind her wanting to be involved, and am enjoying some constructive critiques but there comes a point, especially during tech and the early run process, where it get's downright irritating.
Thanks,
Caroline

Does this theatre have a policy of no parents backstage (except for drop off and pick up)?  Non-essential personnel backstage have no business being there.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2013, 09:37 am »
When someone wants to give me a note or suggestion that isn't particularly welcome (because it's outside of their purview), I find that a simple "Thank you" (and nothing further on the subject) is simpler and easier than going into why you aren't going to take the note. It acknowledges the suggestion, politely, without elaborating or inviting further discussion.

Nothing's going to stop her from asking questions or making suggestions if you don't have a talk to her about it. But if you're not comfortable doing that, then deal with each issue as it comes up. Be polite and firm in your answers, and don't invite additional discussion. ("I'm sorry, Sarah, but I'm not able to discuss Timmy's pickup time with you.")

EDITED TO ADD: You might consider finding another ride.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2013, 11:30 am by Maribeth »

Caroline Naveen

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2013, 11:08 am »

Does this theatre have a policy of no parents backstage (except for drop off and pick up)?  Non-essential personnel backstage have no business being there.
[/quote]

Yes, the parents are not allowed backstage after half-hour and this parent has obeyed this rule so far. Thank you so much for the help everyone. I really appreciate it as this situation was particularly difficult to deal with.

Thanks,
Caroline
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2013, 01:38 am by Caroline Naveen »