Author Topic: Help / Suggestions needed  (Read 2691 times)

dramanujam

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Help / Suggestions needed
« on: Sep 01, 2007, 10:01 am »
Hi everyone,

My name is Dheepa and I am the founder and director of an Indian theater group Krea ( newbielink:http://www.kreacreations.com [nonactive]) ( newbielink:http://blog.seedsandflowers.net [nonactive]), based out of Bay area. I was acting back in India – both stage and television and after moving to US, I took a few courses at Ohlone college, Fremont, CA ( mainly to see how similar or different is Western theater from the Indian theater)

We founded the company in 2003 and we have been staging plays for the Indian community here. All our shows have been fund raisers for non profit organizations and played to fulll house. In addition to staging plays here, we have been touring India for the last 3 years in Summer and we have received good response from the audience as well as the press in India.

I sincerely feel that it is time for me to get out and interact with the local theater groups here and learn much more. I have not done any stage management course nor have any real time stage management experience.  But i have directed 6 full length plays here so far ( One English and five Tamil) here and acted in all the productions  :)  But I do know what is expected of a stage manager and I am a fast learner. More than all these, I am very passionate about theater.

But i have a few questions...

is Stage Management the right kind of job for me? or should i try something else? Will a person with no real time experience like me, will get a SM job, howmuchever passionate he or she is?  Should I do any course for me to be accepted?

thanks in advance
Dheepa

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Help / Suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2007, 11:18 am »
It sounds to me like your interests are elsewhere - in producing, or directing, or acting.  There are plenty of opportunities in the SF bay area, if you have a car.  I would suggest applying and auditioning everywhere you can; if nothing else, any community theatre would love a volunteer!

If you do want to get into stage management, don't try to be a stage manager right off.  Get a stage hand job, or volunteer for one, and learn as much as you can from the stage manager on the show.  It's pretty easy to get one of these positions, they're what I would call "entry-level" in the SM career path.

One way to get active in bay area theatre is to join the performance arts support organization, Theatre Bay Area, which has a monthly magazine and many networking events throughout the year. 

And don't neglect your resources at Ohlone.  The professors there are reasonably well informed and may be able to point you in a profitable direction.

Good luck,
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

ORTaurean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Help / Suggestions needed
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2007, 03:06 pm »
I agree with hbelden, it does sound like your interests are elsewhere.  This position is a calling, much like acting or the priesthood.  :)  Do not consider it unless you feel that it is the job you must do - otherwise, you will resent it and everyone around you.  It is one of the most rewarding and most thankless jobs you could ever perform.  Come to think of it - it is also like being a mother to a large brood who should always know better.  It will test the limits if your patience more than you will ever know.
Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.
-Rosiland Russell

riotous