Author Topic: What I did over my summer vacation...  (Read 16104 times)

sp010123

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: What I did over my summer vacation...
« Reply #15 on: Jul 29, 2009, 04:52 pm »
I joined a historical drama show in the Cultural Centre Studio as a crew last week and I am now working on a drama about a gay guy as ASM, which will show in early Aug at the Fringe Club in Hong Kong.

Should be working on Sweeny Todd Musical as ASM this Aug...and crew head in a high school production in late Aug early Sept.

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #16 on: Jul 29, 2009, 05:37 pm »
I finished as TD/sound board op for Shakespeare in Hollywood a couple weeks ago. I learned a ton. And my next show, Seascape at the American Century Theater, I am running the light board. Seascape runs for 24 performances, the longest run I've ever been a part of. So, my paid gig was cancelled back in late May, and I ended up with two good experiences volunteering in other aspects of backstage life. So, everything mostly evened out.

imrnthewicked

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #17 on: Aug 09, 2009, 03:12 am »
I had a fantastic summer...
I got to spend a week visiting New York City for the first time, seeing a bunch of shows (yay for student rush tickets!) and being tourist-y.

Then I did 2 shows (Annie and The Music Man) as a Stage Management Intern at the Muny in St. Louis, which I LOVED!

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #18 on: Aug 09, 2009, 03:46 am »
On my summer break, I have been traveling around Europe visiting friends and seeing sites.

So far, I have gone to:
Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Barcelona, Madrid, done a road trip/ beach tour of Southern Portugal and Spain, Aix-en-Provence, Avignon, Zurich, Bern, Luzanne, Interlochen, Warsaw, Krakow, Amsterdam (again), Paris (again)

Still on the itinerary:
Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, Cyprus, Rome, Sicily, Athens, Crete, Ephesus, Milan, Mulhouse

It has been busy and crazy so far. Would you believe my recent trip to Amsterdam was to rest and relax and do laundry?

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #19 on: Aug 09, 2009, 06:14 pm »
A lot of things to do in Amsterdamn are quite conducive to rest, relaxation and laundry.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #20 on: Aug 10, 2009, 12:02 pm »
On my summer break, I have been traveling around Europe visiting friends and seeing sites.

So far, I have gone to:
Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Barcelona, Madrid, done a road trip/ beach tour of Southern Portugal and Spain, Aix-en-Provence, Avignon, Zurich, Bern, Luzanne, Interlochen, Warsaw, Krakow, Amsterdam (again), Paris (again)

Still on the itinerary:
Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, Cyprus, Rome, Sicily, Athens, Crete, Ephesus, Milan, Mulhouse

It has been busy and crazy so far. Would you believe my recent trip to Amsterdam was to rest and relax and do laundry?

I am amazingly jealous of your travels! Your work too, but mostly your travels as I sit sweltering in the summer heat of the city with my 1 vacation in years still a month away!

Safe and fun travels to you!
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #21 on: Aug 11, 2009, 09:38 am »
I'm a stage management intern in Houston, Texas. It'll be my first professional show after being involved with an all student-run troupe for the past four years, so I'm a little apprehensive, but also excited to learn.

I'm originally from Houston! Great theaters. Where are you interning?
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

c45207

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #22 on: Aug 13, 2009, 02:59 am »

The Alley Theatre, downtown. Our current show is Sherlock Holmes and the Crucifer of Blood.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #23 on: Aug 13, 2009, 09:31 am »

The Alley Theatre, downtown. Our current show is Sherlock Holmes and the Crucifer of Blood.

I LOVE the Alley. Good work you! :)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Smurf1331

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2009, 03:50 pm »
I designed/SMed a community theatre production of Little Shop of Horrors... Man were those plants fun to make!

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #25 on: Oct 21, 2009, 02:27 pm »
I worked at Hershey Park, in Hershey, PA on one of their entertainment shows. I was a techinician working with ZFX fly systems to lift dancers. It was like a mini-Cirque show, called "Beyond the Dragon Gate." I had a 30x30 Hydraulic wall that went from 0 degrees to 120 degrees, two professional tramps, and a tramp wall. The ZFX systems worked a Lyra, wristloops, single point and dual-point harnesses. We also had a chain-lift chandelier with trapeze bars.

I have to admit, it was a very tech-heavy show for 26 minutes :)

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 2009, 01:21 am »
I was an apprentice technician at the Santa Fe Opera.  Fantastic program!  I learned a lot.  Love the country there too, it's so beautiful.  Sunsets back East just don't compare! 

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 11, 2009, 09:45 am »
I was an apprentice technician at the Santa Fe Opera.  Fantastic program!  I learned a lot.  Love the country there too, it's so beautiful.  Sunsets back East just don't compare! 

Are you in that great video the lighting crew produced?

riotous