Author Topic: What I did over my summer vacation...  (Read 16105 times)

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
What I did over my summer vacation...
« on: Jun 07, 2009, 05:21 am »
Seems like we stage management students rarely get to have a real summer vacation.  There's always this internship or that summer stock theater to work at - summertime is resume-building time for most of us!

Since everyone's winding down at school and gearing up for your summer plans, let's share!  What are you doing this summer?  (If you don't feel comfortable sharing names/locations, tell us about what you'll be doing.)  For those of you who are interning, is it your first time?  Any questions or thoughts about the upcoming experience?

And, people who are taking a fun trip, or doing something completely non-theater related, I want to hear about that too!

I'll start the ball rolling!  I'm interning at a theater company out in western MA.  One thing I love about working there is that all the interns live together camp-style in a house down the street from the theater.  There's a sense of camaraderie that's so much fun, even out in the boonies with nothing to do.  I've been here for about a month already and I'm really enjoying myself; I've been running a show and I'm about to start rehearsals for the next one on top of that.

Your turn!  What are you up to for the summer?

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: What I did over my summer vacation...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2009, 08:53 pm »
I'm stage managing a show with CapFringe. I'm also taking five classes because I'm doing an internship next Spring and want to be pretty much finished with college by December. It's a lot of stuff with pretty much no break, but at least I have a goal to keep me going!

yoyomankind

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, Phi Kappa Psi, SMA
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2009, 01:25 am »
Currently I'm the Master Carpenter at a theatre in NC, and in August I will be filling in for a TD and some carpenters at a theatre in ME.  In between the two jobs, I'll be packing for my year SM internship at Bloomsburg Theatre Ensemble

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2009, 07:39 am »
I am finishing up a lovely run of DESIGN FOR LIVING, 2 weeks summer vacation, and then a remount of TAMING OF THE SHREW.  In there, before July 6, I have to ride 24 more roller coasters to finish my  "100 Roller Coasters in a 100 days" Challenge.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

c45207

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2009, 07:19 pm »
I'm a stage management intern in Houston, Texas. It'll be my first professional show after being involved with an all student-run troupe for the past four years, so I'm a little apprehensive, but also excited to learn.

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2009, 10:39 am »
My planned stage management gig was cancelled (recession/budget issues) so I am TD for a community theater production of Ken Ludwig's Shakespeare in Hollywood. It's my first time being responsible for all of the tech decisions, so that's exciting. We open in less than a month, so it'll be a fun experience.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2009, 11:08 am »
In there, before July 6, I have to ride 24 more roller coasters to finish my  "100 Roller Coasters in a 100 days" Challenge.

That is so awesome! I want to ride 100 roller coasters!
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2009, 12:52 pm »
IIn there, before July 6, I have to ride 24 more roller coasters to finish my  "100 Roller Coasters in a 100 days" Challenge.

Awesome!  Do you have a Six Flags Season Pass?  Have you hit up either of the "new" (actually remodeled) "Bizarro"s -- we got on the one at Great Adventure this past Monday -- the soundtrack and the FX are a hoot.

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2009, 04:23 am »
I'm currently in Vegas on business/vacation, then I call COPPELIA, then LA TRAVIATA, then THE MERRY WIDOW (all by August 9th), then it's back to Las Vegas!
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

jerseySM

« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2009, 10:23 pm »
I returned to my hometown to be Production Manager for two summer theatre shows (one performed by high schoolers and grads and another by kids). Before that, I finished some summer school classes so that I can get some credits out of the way.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2009, 03:48 pm »
I'm going on my first Cruise with the 1 week I have off during this season.  Heading down to the Caribbean with my girlfriend at the beginning of August.  Definitely looking forward to it.

chrrl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2009, 05:37 pm »
I'm lucky enough to be employed year round at my theatre company - even though we're dark for July and August.  I'm on vacation this next week (sticking close to home) and have another week-long family vacation planned for August.  Due to budget cuts this year we're on shortened summer hours - 3 days a week, and will also need to take 4-week furlows spread throughout the next year.  I haven't figured out how that's going to work yet with my production schedule, but I'm happy to still have a job and may be looking for a little bit of part-time work.

crazylady

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 23, 2009, 12:34 pm »
I am currently running an outdoor production of 12th Night, once that closes I am teaching some theatre summer camps, and in August my company is remounting Hamlet for a festival. In between I am going to take a trip up to Vermont to see the Bread and Puppet theatre (possibly more than once) and I am going to make my first trip to Boston ever.
“Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”
                                           - Peter Hall

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 23, 2009, 05:32 pm »
I am currently in production for the first of two shows this summer, You Can't Take It With You and Harvey.  I'll be making day trips throughout the summer to six flags, staying in Cape Cod during nights after work for a week or so, and hopefully making some low-budget films with some friends.  I've also dedicated myself to getting to more sporting events and concerts. Go Sox!

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2009, 07:09 pm »
Lego Star Wars is the current game of choice. :)

I love Lego Star Wars and (probably even more) Lego Batman!!

For my summer vacation, I am taking a much needed leave from work to have knee surgery (it is bionic now, which is pretty cool!!).  It has been an interesting experience having to sit with my feet up for 6 weeks.  I really have to remind myself not to try and do everything for everyone and just take care of myself, which I think we SM's aren't always great at doing.  It has been a good summer of movies, catching up on TV, reading, and otherwise taking it slow.  I am starting to look forward to going back to work in 6 weeks though... :-)
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

riotous