Author Topic: Well, if you can't admit it here, where can you?  (Read 11148 times)

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
Well, if you can't admit it here, where can you?
« on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:39 pm »
Had my second rehearsal tonight as a bonafide stage manager (last semester I ASMed). And you'd think with all the time I spend lurking around these boards that I wouldn't have made the two small mistakes that I made tonight.

First, I only had one pencil, and of COURSE one of my actors needed one.

And...I forgot to call breaks :(

Ah well! Lesson learned!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Well, if you can't admit it here, where can you?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:01 pm »
Most of that would have been nerves. It happens.

If it happens again, just write yourself a list of things you need to remember to do - before, during and after rehearals (so three lists) and put them up the front of your bible.

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2007, 12:34 am »
Hahaha, awww don't worry.  That happens to all of us.  A list is a great way to make sure that you get everything done that you need to.  Just relax, I'm sure you'll do just fine!
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:45 pm »
i've had the same problem with not having extra pencils for shows before and I have SMed quite a few shows.  It happens, usually i dont have them cause the actors fail to return them.  I'm thinking for future shows im gonna start asking them to give me a $1 deposit to borrow a pencil just to train them to return what they borrow. 

Basically we're all human we all make the mistakes, as long as you learn from them and dont fall into a habit you'll be ok.

oso_te_great

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2007, 04:38 am »
Had my second rehearsal tonight as a bonafide stage manager (last semester I ASMed). And you'd think with all the time I spend lurking around these boards that I wouldn't have made the two small mistakes that I made tonight.

First, I only had one pencil, and of COURSE one of my actors needed one.

And...I forgot to call breaks :(

Ah well! Lesson learned!

Dont worry, it took me an hour to get an opening sequence right during my first tech. (House to half, house out, telephone ring with telephone special, lights up)  Ironically it was the most complicated in the whole show.
Malcolm Foster
Seattle Academy Class of 2007
University of Montana Class of 2011

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2007, 09:36 am »
I'm thinking for future shows im gonna start asking them to give me a $1 deposit to borrow a pencil just to train them to return what they borrow. 

I am TOTALLY doing this on my shows this summer.  Last summer I started with an entire huge altoids box of pencils (you know those big tins they sell?) and by the end of the summer they were ALL GONE.  A deposit is a great idea!

Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

dwj0772

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:36 pm »
I'm thinking for future shows im gonna start asking them to give me a $1 deposit to borrow a pencil just to train them to return what they borrow.

I buy a box of mechanical pencils at the beginning of a show, and then charge anyone that needs one $1 for the pencil.  (They don't have to have the $1 on them; I just make sure they pay up by the end of the run.)  They get to keep it, and it makes me enough money to replace the box when it's empty.  I've yet to have someone need to buy two pencils.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:34 pm »
a box of golf pencils is a good way to have abunch around that you don't care about ('cause you'd never use them) so you don't feel the need to 'rent' your stash...

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:47 pm »
Every SM on this board has these stories, don't sweat it. 

I do the lists that Mac menionted and then put them in one of those clear page holders, that allows me to use a dry erase pen to check off each of the items as I go, then erase the check marks after rehearsal and start all over again. 

Relax and have fun. 

sailor_sam

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2007, 05:15 pm »
a box of golf pencils is a good way to have abunch around that you don't care about ('cause you'd never use them) so you don't feel the need to 'rent' your stash...

That is an great idea.  You can also customize them at this website:http://www.inkhead.com/laxc_230-p_1-promotional-items.html?reftypeid=5&gclid=COH959GYjooCFQJpNAodlCesQg. 

This way your actors will always remember you!

Canuck

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2007, 05:48 pm »
I put a strip of spike tape on the ends of all the pencils I have for the actors/director to use.  This way they are easily (and cheaply) identifiable.  Pencils the ASM's may put in have a different color so at the end we can sort out whose pencil is whose. 

It's funny, I have worked with certain actors who once a week (or when the pencil stock was running low) I would go up to them and say "Ok, it's purse check time!" and they would 'discover' a handful of SM pencils that had 'gathered' in their hand bags!  Ah, actors, at least they had as much fun with it as I had.  Always a highlight of my week!

djemily

• New to Town
  • God said "GO", and then there was light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:02 pm »
I checked out the golf pencil website, and they require you to buy at least 1,000 pencils at a time. I really hope I never plan to lose 1000 pencils in my lifetime. Though, I guess with big thieving casts it might be a good idea.

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2007, 07:41 am »
I really hope I never plan to lose 1000 pencils in my lifetime.

Then don't go into stage managment.  :-)

vampire orthodontist

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2007, 01:19 pm »
I always have a spare pencil taped to the back of my clipboard, just in case.
I'm the only person who knows its there. So it stays there.

gNat

• New to Town
  • it's a dinosnore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2007, 06:44 pm »

I had a teacher who would 'trade' you for a pencil.  Shoe was the most common, but driver's license, hair tie, wallet, book, whatever.  I'm not sure I would ask for a shoe during rehearsal, but probably would a license.  You can bet the actor would remember to get it back!
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
- The Princess Bride

riotous