Author Topic: Welcome Introduction speeches??????  (Read 4042 times)

boheme101

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Welcome Introduction speeches??????
« on: Feb 22, 2007, 06:00 am »
I'm SM on a forthcoming tour. The production previously had a life and seemingly, another tour is about to commence. However, the director is completely re-vamping the show and the pressure to make money is huge. The production consists of one professional actor and 12 musicians (all of whom laugh at the idea of doing "theatre"). Anybody, have any tips about what to say to everybody when they arrive in the theatre. The idea is to get them excited and also explain how important it is that they take the show seriously.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
Re: Welcome Introduction speeches??????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2007, 02:15 pm »
Have you been asked to give a speech like this, or do you just feel that you need to give a speech?

boheme101

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2007, 03:45 pm »
I've been asked to give a speech and quote "kick their arses into gear". ! I don't think that anybody responds to being lectured to especially on the first day however, i understand that there is some need to reinforce that this is a professional production.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2007, 04:29 am »
In your house keeping, you may wish to mention that "with such a great group of professionals, I believe we can make something really special." or a few things along those lines. Lecturing is a bad idea - I am all for a good lecture when it is required, but "This is damn expensive and you had better do well, or I will dig out your heart with a spoon" is great way to ruin your relationship with the cast before it begins.

12 Muso's acting... sounds like a receipe for disaster. Muso's are used to having much laxer calls etc than actors, so you will certainly need to establish some ground rules at some point. No matter what you say at the start of the show though, the only way you will be able to keep them vibrant and enthused is if the rehearsals are kept fresh and your attitude is good (and your directors attitude is good).

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2007, 09:17 am »
I am very wary of the "kick their arses into gear" flavor of this.
First of all, it just doesn't seem like a friendly or positive attitude for the producers or whoever asked this of you. Are difficulties expected? Are they being overly demanding before rehearsals even begin? Do they know something you don't? When you expect the worst, you will always get exactly what you expected.

Frankly, you're working with a group of professionals. You don't need to explain that they should do a great job, because their job is to do a great job. It's not like they were expecting to come to work and completely brush this one off, until your rousing speech convinced them otherwise. And when someone perceives that the actors are not giving it their all (or worse - the show is not making enough draw), will the producers ask you to take it up another notch? When will this stop being your responsibility (and why is it your responsibility to begin with?). I'm just a little jaded and I hope my worries for you are totally unfounded.

But you asked about welcome speeches, which are totally standard and kinda fun and always a good welcome event. So...
Be positive, be enthusiastic, be real. We have really great feelings about this show and the wonderful cast and crew working together on it. We all need to cooperate and communicate to make the show as successful as it can be. The SM is here to help - talk to me anytime and I will do everything I can to keep everone comfortable, creative, safe, and happy. We are taking a fresh new approach to this show, and it will be a big and complicated production, but exciting. We'll work hard, and it will be a great show. Here's your director. Here is the set taped out, there are the bathrooms.
Scene 11, please...