Author Topic: College Questions  (Read 7575 times)

RWKSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Rent: The Encore
  • Experience: Community Theatre
College Questions
« on: Jul 22, 2010, 03:24 pm »
Hi Guys -

Recently I finalized the prospective colleges I would like to apply to by cutting my list down from 15 universities to a simple 3. These schools include: DePaul, Webster, and North Carolina School of the Arts. However, I want to make the best decision possible, and choose the school that best fits the "ideal" school I'm looking for. Recently, I was given the opportunity to exchange emails with current students at these schools, however I've been having trouble compiling questions to ask them. In all, I was wondering if you guys could help me out by providing me with some questions to ask that should not be overlooked when looking for a college. I have the basic, "Whats your opinion on the program", but I'm looking for something more specific to narrow these schools down to the one that best suits me. Thanks in advance!

Ryan
Dare to Dream!

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: College Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2010, 04:56 pm »
Actually, I'd go backwards and ask yourself some questions.

1) What do you need to stay happy and sane? You're going to have to live at this place for 3-4 years of your life, so it's important that you can work there. Do you need quiet residences, or would you rather have some parties? Do you need a local sushi bar? Do you need a good fitness centre? Do you want to be in a year-round warm climate, or do you want some snow? What support networks and services do you need to tap into? (A women's centre? A GLBT centre? A daycare? A Christian association?) Do you need a variety of vegetarian/vegan food at the cafeteria? Do you expect to be able to play intramural sports? Think about this, suss out your top priorities, and then ask these students what their programs offer.

2) Think about what style of program would suit you best. There are two extremes in terms of program design:
- Theory-based, which will have you working on a minimal number of productions, with most of your time spent studying the theory and practice of theatre in classroom settings.
- Conservatory, which will have you constantly working on productions with hardly any time spent in classrooms.

Most programs exist somewhere between the two. Just because a program offers more productions does not necessarily mean it is "better"--although if you're a hands-on, let's-get-going type of person, it might be a better program for you. Conversely, theory-based programs will usually give you a broader understanding of how theatre comes together: in a Conservatory-driven program you might only ever stage manage, while in a theory-based program you'd be expected to take classes in every discipline and field, at least a the theory level. Think about which type suits you better, and use that to generate questions about the programs: "How many hours a week will I spend in a classroom?" "How many production credits can I expect in any given year?"

3) Decide how much you want to specialize. Even if right now you're REALLY REALLY SUPER REALLY into theatre, it's important to remember that it is possible to over-specialize. (Theatre in particular is an industry where you may find it beneficial to take some non-theatre courses: having a handle on psychology or history or philosophy can make your work much more interesting and relevant, and make you much more useful as a professional, than having a theatre-exclusive background.) Different universities offer different degrees of specialization: some will offer virtually no elective credits, others will actually give you more elective credits than in-major credits. Decide what sort of mixture works best for you, and ask about what the ratio is at these programs.

At the risk of saying something negative, it's also important to remember that a lot of very good people try and get into theatre as a lifelong career and just don't make it. You may need to exit the industry at some point, and having a more varied background in your education will be beneficial if it comes to that.

4) Finally, ask about the local theatre scene. You'll want to see shows while you study, and you'll want to see shows by people who you don't see every day in the halls. If your university is basically the only theatrical output in the region besides the annual Christmas pageant, that might be problematic. This wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it may be for you, so think about it.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2010, 04:58 pm by On_Headset »

JECSM

• New to Town
  • "IMPOSSIBLE? WE'RE DOING IT!"
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: TTS at DePaul: Intimate Apparel, The Death of Gaia Divine
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2010, 11:48 pm »
Hi Ryan,

I will actually be going to DePaul as a 1st year SM this fall, but I was accepted to UNCSA and several other similar programs as well! When I did my admissions interviews I came up with this list of questions for the faculty interviewers, but current students could probably answer them as well. Making a list of these also helped me realize what was most important to me about the schools, and when it came time to decide between them, I had concrete info to evaluate the pros and cons of each for me.

How many students are typically accepted into the program each year/is there a limit?
 How many students are in the program total/graduate?
 Is there a graduate program? How does it effect/interact with the undergraduate program?
 What is the progression of courses/responsibilities? Is this fixed?
 How many shows a year/opportunities?
 How many faculty are in program/school?
 How close to the theatre buildings do students typically live/what are dorms like?
 Are there outside opportunities for work?
 What are typical internships/connections for students?
 What are the study-abroad options for the major/are there established programs?
 Are there summer programs/productions at the school?
 Is AP credit available/what are non-major requirements?
 Where are alumni now?
 What makes your school special/different/better?

For me, these questions pointed to DePaul. But make sure you're asking the questions that are important to you--there are a lot of great programs, but it won't be worth anything if it's not right for you.

Hope this helps!

LaurenDPennington

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2010, 01:46 pm »
Hey Ryan!
I am going into my Junior year at Montclair State University in NJ. I am a Theatre Production/ Design major with a concentration in Stage Management. I LOVE montclair, but it is definetly the kind of school that you need to make the most out of. the harder you work, the more you take out of it. In my 2 years that I have completed I have stage managed 2 shows, and ASMed 8 but have been involved in many other. If you want to know more about Montclair feel free to email me- laurendpennington@gmail.com.

evileyesrv

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2010, 12:52 am »
Hey Ryan!

I'm a senior at the USC School of Theatre emphasizing in Stage Management and I also work for the School of Theatre speaking with and touring prospective students.

If you happen to find  yourself in Los Angeles, feel free to contact me and I'll arrange a tour for you of the School of Theatre facilities as well as speak with you about our programs at USC.

rvaldez@usc.edu

Ramon

kbressman

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UNCSA, Pointe PAC
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2010, 08:05 am »
Hi Ryan! I'm a Third year SM attending UNCSA so I thought I could help you out. I came into the program with very little experience in Stage Management alone but lots of technical experience all around. It certainly helped me that first year because you don't really touch SM until your third (spring) term when we do our student directed pieces. Mostly you will be working on crews for costumes, carpentry, and electrics. This is good because you get to know the other majors and train in areas you never thought you would be good at (Who knew I could ever figure out how to operate a light board?!) Almost all of the underage freshmen live in the dorms and eat in the cafe (which can be very healthy, lots of vegetarian friendly meals) The weather is almost perfect year round, 2-3 heavy snows during winter term, though I would bring some good rain boots. The faculty and staff are extremely helpful, we are even getting a new SM Adviser, Frank, who is just about the sweetest man I think I have ever met and he is still very much in the business. Your second year is where you really get elbows deep in Assistant Stage Managing and your third year you lead the team! You can pretty much pick what shows you work on each term ranging from drama, musical, modern dance, opera and ballet. We are a conservatory style so most of your days are spent at crew or in rehearsals. I hope this information helped and you consider UNCSA if it's right for you.   

imrnthewicked

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2010, 12:57 am »
Hey Ryan!  I'm a third year SM major at Webster.  I absolutely love it!  If I told you about the program, it'd take me all night, but if you have any certain questions, I'd be more than happy to answer! 
The best general advice I can give you is to visit the schools, and talk to the students there.  The students know more about what it's like to go there than anybody, and we've all been through the same process as you before!

John Zachary Wells

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, Aurora Community Theater
  • Current Gig: Revue Review, Cincinnati Conservatory of Music
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:14 am »
I'm currently in the process of applying as well. Actually two of your schools are the same as mine, I have applied to Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, DePaul and Webster. When do you interview?
Fortune Favors the Bold