Author Topic: Welcome from your moderator!  (Read 5650 times)

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
  • Experience: Professional
Welcome from your moderator!
« on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:59 pm »
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Students and Novice Stage Managers Board.

A little about me...
My name is Bridget Woodbury, I live in the DC area and I'm a full-time stage manager. I got my BA in Theater from the University of Maryland, College Park in May 2010, but I've been freelancing for about a year and a half. I've worked on Opera, fringe shows, mini-tours, equity pieces, concerts, lecture series, all-day symposiums, and a whole lot of theatre. Right now I work at the George Mason University Center for the Arts working primarily with classical concerts and small tours and rentals coming through, but I am able to fit in some freelance PM and SMing. I started stage managing when I was 14, so I have a lot of educational experience and I have a lot of perspective on starting young. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it!

About the board...
As with other boards, there are some posts stickied about high traffic topics, but there are a couple things here that are a little different. One of them is the Student SM Challenges, which PSMKay I will work on together. They're a great place to start posting if you're new to the boards!

There is also a new topic I'm starting. It's called the SMNet Meeting. It's not a chat, nor its it time sensitive, but it's a place where you can check in once a week (or more, or less) at your leisure, to vent or talk "out loud" about your show. The idea here is to replicate the weekly SM meetings that exist in some college SM programs. Since a lot of programs aren't big enough to have them in person, I'm trying to get a big 24/7 meeting going here! It's one of the things that helped me the most as I was learning and that I miss the most about graduating.

So that's a place without the pressure of starting a whole topic, which I know can be daunting! Please keep the facts and frustrations show/stage management related, but feel free to comment at any time.

Welcome to the board, and remember, everyone here was new once too!

riotous