Author Topic: What to do? Waiting for internship result & offered a position  (Read 5271 times)

trixieH

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
I'm in the process of waiting for the result of a year-long SM internship (in Florida--I live in CA) I interviewed for. They said they would make a decision in 2-3 weeks. In the mean time, I was also offered an ASM position for a show (in CA, no pay) that would start in 2 weeks. Because I don't know how the internship will turn out (and when I do get the internship, I would need to relocate), I honestly told the person who offered me the ASM position about my situation and politely told her I can't give her a solid answer and asked her to let me know if she would still be interested after 2 weeks.

Now, I'm not sure if that was the wisest way to handle it. Should I have just accepted the ASM position first and then see how things go from there?

I really value accountability and I really hate just leaving in the middle of a commitment that I made. But I just feel like when I just don't take the job because timing is a little off just like this situation, I end up missing great opportunities I could have just taken.

Also, I realize that the person who offered me the position might take offense? as me weighing job offers and I wonder if I made it sound like the offer is a backup plan.

What's done is done for now but I want to know how I could handle the situation better in the future.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2016, 07:43 am by trixieH »

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: What to do? Waiting for internship result & offered a position
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2016, 11:48 am »
trixieH,

You did the right thing.  You were honest.  Companies that don't offer pay shouldn't be offended if  someone is waiting to hear from other companies and ask for a 2 week waiting period. (They can "hire" someone else if they need to fill the position right away.) It's better not to leave in the middle of a job (other than emergencies).

Is this a paid internship?

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2016, 03:19 pm »
Like SMrose said, you did the right thing. No one can hold it against you that you may have to suddenly change your position based on a job that pays (I'm assuming the internship is paying?).

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2016, 07:51 pm »
You'll be making decisions like this one, your entire career.

Do I take this job or look for another one? Do I take this job or that job? Do I commit to something completely different for a certain amount of time which means I'd have to turn down work if it came up?

The decision making never ends, if you are lucky. It's good to practice making a decision and turning that decision into the right decision by not looking back, while you are still young. It'll inform the more important decisions you'll have to make when you are older!
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

trixieH

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2016, 07:53 am »
Yes. It is a paid internship.
Thank you so much for the replies!
It's been on my mind for days.

Arturo1223

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: PSM,
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2017, 11:43 pm »
Something important to note is that integrity is key. You showed great poise by being upfront and honest by saying you had previous commitments. Additionally, because it was a volunteer position I believe it wasn't to much to ask for a 2 week delay before rendering your decision. 
newbielink:https://jrfernandezarturo.wixsite.com/sminfo [nonactive]

riotous