Author Topic: USITT Stage Management Mentor Project (2010)  (Read 7918 times)

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
USITT Stage Management Mentor Project (2010)
« on: Sep 02, 2009, 04:06 pm »
Is anyone involved with the mentor project or know anyone involved this year? Applications haven't gone up yet, but I was hoping to talk to someone about what the project is all about, how many people are accepted, when applications go up, etc.

USITT conference is being held in KC this year, which is fantastic since it is so incredibly close to where I live. I also plan to sign up for the volunteer program. I need to make sure I can do both, which I would imagine I could work out somehow. I sent my student application in today so hopefully I will be a student member in the next couple weeks.
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
  • Experience: Professional
Re: USITT Stage Management Mentor Project (2010)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2009, 01:59 am »
Could someone please explain exactly what this topic is about?
Something tells me the HARDLINE may not be the proper place for the thread...?
Ordo ab chao

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2009, 10:04 am »
The USITT Stage Mangement Mentorship program is something that's been running at the annual USITT (United States Institute of Theatre Technicians - or is that Technical Theatre?) National Conference for years, and you're right VSM - it is a topic that's more appropriate for the student/novice forum since its about student stage managers getting a "mentorship" at the national conference.

I was in one of the earliest versions of it, and I think then it was a worthwhile program - I'm only assuming that its improved since then (10 years ago).  Yes, you can do the student volunteering for the conference as well as the Mentorship program - or at least you could 10 years ago.  They take a certain number of "mentees"  and they "stage manage" certain of the functions of the conference.  It was very interesting meeting other young SMs and working with some of the professional SMs.  I have no idea what the details of the current program are, you might have to contact someone at USITT to find out who's running the program now or if this is transfered to the Student Forum, maybe someone there will know.

-Centaura

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2009, 10:38 am »
USITT (United States Institute of Theatre Technicians - or is that Technical Theatre?)

USITT = United States Institute for Theatre Technology.

As far as the SMMP goes there are definite pros and definite cons.  The main pro is that you gain some wonderful experience and can form some good professional and personal relationships, and the SMMP in itself is a good networking opportunity.  The main con is that it basically consumes your conference, there isn't time for much else.

Personally, I did not pursue the SMMP while I was a student.  I felt my time would be better spent on the show floor networking and trying to beg, borrow or steal to get a job ;) (I kid...sort of).  But really, that is pure personal preference and opinion.  I have a few friends that did the SMMP and had nothing but good things to say about it.

I think before you make a decision you need to decide what you plan to gain from the conference, why are you going?  It also depends where you are in your college career.  Are you a sophomore or junior, will you be able to make it to conference your Senior year?  If so, a pretty lethal 1-2 punch could be to do the SMMP your junior year, then come back senior year and leverage those connections while trying to find a job.  If you're a senior trying to find a job you may decide your time is better spent on the show floor, or you may still opt for the SMMP and hope the smaller number of (but more personal and more substantive) connections lead to gainful employment.  

My advice would be to first decide what you want to gain from this conference.  From there, formulate your strategy and see how the SMMP and any other opportunities may fit into your ultimate goal.  
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2009, 10:40 am by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2009, 12:12 pm »
USITT = United States Institute for Theatre Technology.

Thank you - I was having a brain fart moment.  I used to be active, but since starting to work professionally - I'm always working on something during the conference, so haven't gone in years.  My current job talked about sending me sometime, but then we hit a budget crisis - we're owned by a city which had its funding severely cut, so we've had to cut the "extra's" out of our budget.

Those are good points - what do you want to get out of the conference?  I remember I student volunteered every year except my senior year - that year I just wanted to "do" the conference and not loose out on the time it took to volunteer.

-Centaura

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2009, 01:12 pm »
Sorry if I put this in the wrong section. I wasn't sure since it fits under a professional association as well a mentor program within that association.

Thank you for your responses. Right now I'm definitely looking to get extra experience and helping SM a conference with professionals is very interesting and sounds like a great opportunity. On the other hand I would like to check out the job fair and maybe even attend an SM class if something sparks my interest.

I guess this will be a decision I can only make when there is some kind of published schedule and the application for the Mentor Project is actually posted. I will definitely be applying to do the volunteer program so I don't have to worry about the entry cost. Since they only take a small handful of SMs I can apply and if I get accepted that is great and if I don't it will leave me more time for more of the conference.

Will any members of the SMNetwork be around at USITT? I would love to meet some of the members and see who I've been talking to on the forums.
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2009, 02:28 am »
I'll be attending USITT in Kansas City.  Once it gets closer, I'm going to look at organizing a stage management gathering for SMNetwork and SMA folks together.

G-O gr24

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PM Fellow at Berkeley Repertory Theatre
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2010, 07:52 pm »
not sure if you ended up applying or not, but I did! So hopefully we can meet up at some point or maybe we'll be working together!  See you at USITT!

ddsherrer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:58 pm »
I will be there as well and would love to be involved in any SMNet/SMA event.  smejs, if you need any help as it gets closer, PM me.
If all the world's a stage, where's my stage manager?

Stagemanagerpixie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:39 pm »
I'm looking into attending USITT. My TD/Professor has been pressing me to go, last year was just too busy for me, so I may give it a try this year.