Author Topic: University Personal Statements  (Read 4065 times)

Rose

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
University Personal Statements
« on: Aug 12, 2010, 03:37 pm »
I have been looking at Ucas examples of personal statements for the theatre and most include artistic quotes from actors and are very performance based. Does a stage manager's statement need to be as artistic and creative or can I just put emphasis on my experience, reason for enrolling on the course and previous qualifications?

Any help and suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

Thank-you.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
Re: University Personal Statements
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2010, 05:28 pm »
What is the personal statement going to be used for? Is it for an application to the program, or some kind of publication?

Personally I would stay away from artsy quotes either way, but that may just be me.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

SMfairy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Equity UK-student member, University of Cumbria
  • Current Gig: SM-The Beggar's Opera & Scenes of Love and Betrayal
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2010, 06:50 pm »
I'd say to definitely steer away from artsy quotes! When I wrote my personal statement, I wrote about why I wanted to study the subject, what I wanted to do with the qualification and my ambitions. I also included a little about my experience, but don't go overboard-it's not a job application! It's also good to put in a little bit about other interest to show that you have a broad range of experiences, and will be able to contribute to university life and the course, but not solely in a subject specific way. Also, remember that you are applying for university, so use an appropriate style of writing-not too formal, but definitely not colloquial! Hope this helps.

Lizzie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2010, 04:44 am »
I put :

What I'd done previously in theatre (on- and back-stage)
How I got interested in Stage Management
What other skills / interests I have that might be useful / relevant (eg being one of the organisers or your local computer gaming club might be relevant, just playing lots of computer games probably wouldn't
What steps I'd taken to improve my knowledge already (eg reading relevant journals, joining professional bodies as an associate member)

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2010, 12:00 pm »
I would also be sure to include why you are a good fit at the University, and additionally why the specific program is a good fit for your long term goals.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Rose

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2010, 03:25 pm »
Thank-you so much everyone for all your help it was really usefull.

I have written my statement now, sent it off and now just waiting to hear back from them  :o

Thanks