Author Topic: Troubleshooting Procedures during Performance  (Read 4010 times)

chale352

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UCF Theatre Alumi
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager; The D*Word - A Musical
  • Experience: Professional
Troubleshooting Procedures during Performance
« on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:57 am »
Hello, I am currently working on a production where the producer has asked me for a list of things which could go wrong on or back stage during a performance and the procedures to be followed for each issue. This is the result of a performance where we had several mic issues and the situation was not "adequately handled by the backstage crew." My ASM backstage and 1 stagehand have not worked in a theatre environment  before.

We have 4 actors with microphones, many props including liquids, rolling set pieces, quick changes, sound effects including songs because it is a musical, as well as moving lights.

The number of things which could go wrong would be a novel. What would you suggest are some of the bigger issues that could happen so I have something to show that these issues can be handled?
"Plan your work, work your plan."
          -Gene Columbus

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
Re: Troubleshooting Procedures during Performance
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:20 pm »
A list of things that could go wrong? That list is miles long...

Ideally if you're having sound issues, you need an A1 or similar sound person backstage for every show. Or at the very least the stagehand needs to be trained in mic troubleshooting issues and given the proper tools to execute basic repairs, replacements, etc.

If you have knowledgeable, and adequate staffing backstage (and quality equipment)  most of the issues will become null and void. Creating a list and protocol is just busy work! 
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2013, 03:52 pm »
OMG it's the real world version of "Hell in a handbag!"

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2013, 05:53 pm »
I think in a situation like this, it might be more helpful for you, the crew, and the producer to not have a list of every possible specific issue (because you'll never finish that list...and the things that do go wrong will never be on it) so much as a basic protocol for how issues are handled, generally speaking, to illustrate chain of command. Frequently in these situations, I've found that producers really just want to make sure everyone can be held accountable for knowing proper protocol, in the event that it may not be followed to the letter. 

For example:

"If there is a mic issue SL, the SL ASM will go into x drawer and find the batteries for mic pac, replace batteries, and report same to SM over headset. If there is a mic issue SR, so-and-so stagehand will run batteries from SL to SR and report same to SM"

Or even more general, like:

"If backstage issue is solveable by ASM/deck hands & cast involved, those people will solve in due time and ASM involved will report decision to SM over headset at appropriate break in Qs, prior to scene in question"

And

"If life-threatening/dangerous situation arises backstage, ASM will alert SM as soon as possible and will then call Front of House/Producer/Emergency services as necessary"

Let us know how you solve this!
[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:24 pm »
You should write a contingency for the North Koreans launching a nuclear assault, zombie apocalypse, and the rapid release of gravimetric pressure.

Hey....they could happen during your show!

As for specifics...I think you've got the right basic idea not mapping out everything:. Impossible. I'd go with the SL, SR procedures. Maybe the best way to go about it is ask the producer which situations they can think of that they'd like you to have procedures in place for and develop those.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2013, 11:28 am by nick_tochelli »

chale352

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UCF Theatre Alumi
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager; The D*Word - A Musical
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2013, 11:26 am »
In case anyone is wondering, I created a single sheet with some very general procedures. The producer seemed satisfied with it. She seemed most worried that I did not have anything written down what needed to be done if something went wrong.
Here you go:

Audio: Preventative
•   Cast should not turn off their mics between sound check and performance.
•   Audio person will check mics 5 min prior to show via headphones to make sure they are on and sound good
•   Audio person will tape the mute switches to the “on” position so that accidents can’t happen. Pack may be able to be “locked” so that the mute switch is not active.
Audio: Troubleshooting
•   There is a back up mic and transmitter back stage.
•   If problems arise, communication between SM and ASM or stagehand will occur to assess problem.
•   Routine checking of connections and frequencies will take place to find a solution.
•   If this cannot be done because there is no way for the actor to leave stage and continue the performance, a handheld microphone will be provided to the actor from backstage by the ASM. If the ASM is onstage at the time, it will be provided by the stagehand. 

Lighting: Preventative
•   Stage Manager will check all lighting equipment for issues prior to show.
Lighting: Troubleshooting
•   If a light cue is missed the actors are to proceed as normal.
•   If the stage goes dark and lights do not return promptly, the actors are to leave the stage and an announcement will be made by the Stage Manager

Props: Preventative
•   Assistant Stage Manager will check that all props are in show condition prior to performance.
•   Assistant Stage Manager will ensure props are placed in proper positions for performance.
Props: Troubleshooting
•   If a prop is broken onstage, the actors are to attempt to clean area as long as the integrity of scene is withheld.
•   If a prop is broken onstage and actors are unable to clean area, ASM will clean area in next scene change provided there is no safety issue.
•   If broken prop presents a safety issue to actors onstage, actors are to leave the stage. Stage Manager will make an announcement and performance will resume as soon as hazard is cleared.
"Plan your work, work your plan."
          -Gene Columbus

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2013, 01:21 pm »
This request from the producer just seems odd to me - is there a reason for this concern? Did something untoward happen with an unsatisfactory outcome? Because - well, as mentioned, the list of potential issues is infinite and (Murphy's Law being what it is) won't cover what actually goes wrong, when it does.

That said, 1) in audio section, it's good you have back-up mic packs, but you never mention back-up batteries and where they live and; 2) in lighting, you are saying the SM does the dimmer check and mention missed light cues, both of which need to be addressed.

I could write a tome on preventative steps, but will just touch on a few things that come to mind immediately:

There shd be pre house-open light and sound/mic checks nightly, handled by board ops and repaired by whomever is appropriately responsible. If you are hired additionally to run boards (which happens more often in non-pro or smaller theater situations), a presumption that you will act as TD and replace lamps or solve sound cable/monitor problems is not standard. And missing cues more than once in a blue moon is, well, not ok.

You mention "stage going dark" - that implies a power outage. Are they so common there? And if they are, you need to include a way to connect w house so both cast and audience are safe. 

And some of your list is basic job description.

Props: Preventative
•   Assistant Stage Manager will check that all props are in show condition prior to performance.
•   Assistant Stage Manager will ensure props are placed in proper positions for performance.

That is the ASM's job (whether they do it themselves or, in a union house, crew does it) and should not need to be spelled out as a preventative measure. That's like saying the SM will take blocking notes and call cues. If this is a problem, a serious conversation is in order.

You also mention things like your show having liquids on stage but not that you made sure there were rags/towels near or on the set (if appropriate) for wiping up spills - which will happen; nightly lock checks for the wheels of rolling set pieces; etc. So perhaps a more global perspective is needed to make sure actor/crew safety has been anticipated.

I have had boards crash midshow, mics fail, costumes rip, actors get injured, blown (or mistakenly thrown) fuses and many other bizarre and impossible-to anticipate mishaps. The bottom line is, are you able to maintain your composure - both within yourself and to keep cast and crew calm - and handle whatever comes up with grace and creativity, keeping the show moving forward where possible and stopping when safety is involved. Can you anticipate what might happen, proactively solve it in your mind, and then know that whatever happens, you have already dealt with it so you can handle whatever might arise.

There is an earthquake info document in the AEA SM packet. You might look through that and borrow that kind of detail and specific as a guide for making sure you have anticipated all aspects of your theater's potential issues. 

And - good luck.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2013, 01:28 pm »
While I see why some people would think it is a weird request, I've worked for companies and on shows where you pretty much know certain things that could go wrong  so you have systems in place ahead of time for everyone's safety and to keep things running smoothly.  That seems like a pretty good way of handling it, just make sure you let everyone else have  a copy of the procedure, and one thing I would change is that if the lights go out and do not come back on the actors are going to have tough time navigating backstage by themselves, you should definitely have an ASM or stagehand go out and rescue them with a flashlight. Actually even when it is not dark sometimes it is best for you to make the call and have an ASM go onstage to get them. You or an ASM might know when a broken prop presents a hazard before the actors do themselves.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

riotous