Author Topic: To Block or Not to Block?  (Read 3001 times)

ChristinaOsborn

• Tourist
    • View Profile
To Block or Not to Block?
« on: Mar 28, 2008, 03:18 am »
I'm Stage Managing for the first time, and I'm loving every minute of it, but I'm a little frazzled.  It's a production of Godspell on a huge amphitheater stage and a cast of 76.  Do I need to take blocking notes on where everyone is all the time, or can I take general notes when there are just too many people? I'd really appreciate some feedback.  Thanks!

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: To Block or Not to Block?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2008, 11:50 am »
If you can make note of each person in the group, you should.  That way you can track entrances and exits for quick changes and props hand offs.

Do you have an assistant who can help you?

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2008, 12:53 pm »
The first main stage show I did was "Inherit the Wind", which has a bunch of crowd scenes. It was a cast of 32. Fortunately, I had two ASMs, that helped taking down blocking. Each took a side of the stage recording who was coming in from what area and where they were going and I would take down what was happening in the center. Then we tried to sort it out later with who had what. However, even that was crazy getting all of it down. So I brought in my video camera in the rehearsal hall and video taped the crowd scenes. That helped a great deal.

Perhaps this might be a solution for you. However, you might want to check to see if you have permission to video tape it. I was able to do it because I was in an educational theatre setting. 

Hope this might help!

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2008, 02:40 pm »
My solution is to only stage manage 2-actor shows.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2008, 05:07 pm by zayit shachor »
"This time for sure."