Author Topic: The Ultimate Decision  (Read 40965 times)

mkristinect

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: TPS
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
Re: The Ultimate Decision
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2015, 07:03 pm »
It was pretty accidental for me, too.  I was studying music (vocal performance) at university and our Director of Opera Studies asked if I would SM her production of Magic Flute.  She brought me in the week of tech.  It was a recipe for disaster:  first-time stage manager, cast full of opera divas, control-freak music director, massive unfamiliar venue, a high-tech Mozart opera.  In the end it turned out alright.  It was terrifying in ways performing on stage had never been for me but somehow it got under my skin.  Years later I still perform regularly but have also been privileged to SM professionally with a number of regional houses (although I have never done another opera).  And I still feel totally inadequate...but I can't seem to stop!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:05 pm by mkristinect »

Sabriel

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Spring Awakening
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2015, 07:55 pm »
I actually started out as an electrician. But my mind is more suited to management, and my body is going to start to give out a little sooner than most 20 year olds will. Easier not to be up in a genie all the time lugging lights in the future.

SMGrant

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2015, 03:56 pm »
I'd have to say that the Theatre found me. When I started high school my focus was getting into the Coast Guard once I graduated. I was in JROTC, the whole nine yards. While in JROTC I found myself as the manager for the drill teams and when we traveled to competitions and things I coordinated everything (everything that didn't require money that is, keep in mind this was Freshman/Sophomore year). Sophomore year I took Intro to Theatre because we had to have an arts elective and I have no talent in the visual arts whatsoever and my English teacher freshman year was also the drama department director/drama teacher. Because a friend of mine was going I ended up going with the drama department to New York City for spring break  and we saw several Broadway shows. Need I say more.

I got bit by the bug. I started into the Drama Department the end of my sophomore year. I ended up leaving JROTC completely my second semester because I was really no longer interested in anything to do with being in the military.  I ended up as an ASM junior year because my best friend was the stage manager at the time and as I started into stage management I realized how similar what I was doing was to my job as the drill team manager. This job came so naturally to me. Summer after my junior year I went to college auditions at the International Thespian Festival and senior year I was the stage manager for 3 of the 4 shows done that year. The rest is pretty much history! I ended up having to take a year off due to personal reasons and I worked at a local professional theatre company to make sure I kept up my training and I was accepted into the BFA SM program I wanted to be for this coming fall! I'm enjoying every day of it and looking forward to what the future has to offer!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:04 pm by SMGrant »

riotous