Author Topic: Technical Manager definition  (Read 5882 times)

neon stars

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Technical Manager definition
« on: Apr 28, 2008, 05:35 am »
Hi everyone, Hope things are going well in whatever part of the world you're in!  :)

Just wondering could someone define the role of a Technical Manager (NZ/AU specific if it matters..) ,who they work directly with and where they slot into the timeline for a show/event/whatever?

My Google-fu is sucking a lot tonight. It's just for personal info more than anything...one of those roles I'm just not clear on.

keypalsman

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Technical Manager definition
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2008, 10:51 am »
A stage manager is
           Patient
           Able to calm any director
           Able to turn a lame show into a hit show
           All-knowing in the art of theatre
           Willing to work longer hours than a director
           Very awesome
In my high school setting stage managers work with the crew through the whole process of the show, including construction, repairs, show, and of course demolition(yeah). We are awesome like that.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Technical Manager definition
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2008, 02:08 pm »
It depends on the context. TD (Technical Director) or TM (Technical Management) varies from industry to industry.

As far as theatre goes, a TD will often look over all drawing and plans to make sure that everything will work together - ie will the set get through the loading dock doors and onto the stage, and when it is there, will it actually fit under the lighting bars with the 12foot droppers and Mac500's on them etc. And will LX's rig draw too much power etc. Basically, the TD is the overseer of all things technical, and they should "slot in" at the start of production (attending all production meeting) and come into their own during bump-in. Whilst we tend to look after the human side of things until tech, the TD should look after the technical aspects.