Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 6300 times)

TheDarkMia

• Tourist
    • View Profile
What to do?
« on: Jul 20, 2008, 02:35 am »
I'm 16 (almost 17), I'm a homeschooled student, and I'm very interested in becoming a stage manager.
The thing is, I'm not able to go to college.
Can you "work up the ladder" to a stage manager?

BKrynicki

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2008, 01:17 pm »
You don't need a degree to stage manage.  You just need experience.  Many theatres offer internships, a good way to start.

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2008, 01:53 pm »
College is definitely not a requirement to become a great stage manager.  I'd suggest getting involved with your local community theater - see if they have any stage crew positions available.  Working backstage is a great way to get experience as well as work closely with SMs and ASMs so that you can learn what the job is all about.

Also, definitely start taking a look around these boards!  There are posts about books about stage management (Lawrence Stern's is a great one), and lots of posts about how to get started in the business.

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2008, 02:49 pm »
If you can't do college, I suggest to you to get on ArtSearch, etc, and start looking at summer positions and internships. Four years of interning, etc, is going to count for as much or more as a degree, and will put you out in the professional world with lots of great experience. I went to the only school in my state that had a BFA in Stage Management, and took tons of classes, etc, but it still didn't prepare for everything once you get "out there"!

You don't say why you can't go to college, though. If it's an issue of relocation or anything like that, you might have a problem.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2008, 04:33 pm »
Internships also give you connections and get you meeting people as well as learning all the business of SMing, so there's definite advantages to it.

chops

• Contributor
  • My tie got caught in an arbor today
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2008, 08:36 pm »
Just agreeing that college is not required in this field.  I have degrees in History and Poly sci but have no formal training in the profession of stage management.  Hit up some internships and put in the extra effort to learn what the SM and PSMs do.  You may put in some volunter hours but they will pay off. 
Peace,

Chops

TheDarkMia

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2008, 01:05 pm »
Okay, thanks!
That's good to hear!

So....I should wait til the summer to work on a project?

I have been thinking about becoming a production assistant on some type of film shoots this year.....would that count for anything in the theater world?

When I start working in the theater, what is the first kind of job I could get?

Cherie B. Tay

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2008, 07:52 pm »
If you're near NYC, try Playbill's Job list:

http://www.playbill.com/jobs/find/

Apprenticeships are also helpful, and usually get you experience and contacts. Many regional theatres offer them.

Good luck!