Author Topic: Student Stage Manager Challenge #17: You knew this was coming.  (Read 5440 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Super Bowl.
Lights.

What is your plan of action, padawans?

(As always with our student challenges, please give our student members a few days before the pros take a crack at it.)
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2013, 04:19 pm by PSMKay »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Student Stage Manager Challenge #17: You knew this was coming.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2013, 03:03 am »
Okay I can see we've got some pros who want to jump in. Take it away, everybody.

Hghawley

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:26 am »
Well im just a student so I would freak out and make the lights manager deal with it as I yell at him over our headsets... But that's just me. (:

Branden

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2013, 12:27 am »
I'd have to say I'd have an ASM call the ME, if they wern't on site, and let the television people know what was going on. Other than that...I'm not sure. Send someone to the dimmer racks/transformers to see if we blew something?

Branden Scott Stewart

"What's next?"
-The West Wing

ChandlerJJ

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2013, 08:08 pm »
Not knowing the chain command at events like that... I will move the super bowl into a theatre. 1. I would get on the GOD mic tell the people we are experiencing Technical Difficulties with our lighting system at this time if you please remain in your seats while we continue to fix our problems. I would call to house (who should already be doing this but make sure) Asking them to go down Aisle with Flash Lights to make sure all are ok and have them open some doors to let light in (if we were in a theatre) then I would call over to the lighting crew asking them what the problem is and how long it could be taken care of After finding out that information I would have the performers/players depending on time frame into the dressing rooms. Now depending on the law/rules I do not know if there is a certain amount of time we could take before we would have to cancel and evacuate the building. Also I would have already made the call over to the Tv production booth to make sure they go to commercial and commentary while the problem is being fixed. After that I would call back to the lighting people to see how long and then going back between them the house, the audience. Just making sure everything is ok. Once we are up an running. Get people back in places (and tell the actors they better give a kick ass performance now), say thank you to the audience and continue with the show. Now depending on laws/contract I might have to take a shorter intermission so we do not go into over time. I guess I would have to call Equity and let them know what happen. I have learn in my two short years of stage managing, That I must be prepared for anything ( I always at PM ask what is our Fire Plan, Power out Plan...etc.. and sometimes they laugh and sometimes they actually have answers) also calmness is key, with a lot of people if the leader is hectic so will the masses.... I hope this an ok plan. Probably a few big things I am missing. Also it requires everyone else to know what they are doing as well.

Logan Duhaime

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2013, 09:37 pm »
So. First I would wet myself cause I'm at the superbowl. Then I would take the time to se the stadium to find the best places for lighting. Then have a pro come in and do the rest because I'm not that good with lights seeing how I'm sm. I'll have a lighting crew of pros and apprentices do it and then approve and walk away