Author Topic: Student SM Challenge #5: Critical Paperwork  (Read 10710 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Student SM Challenge #5: Critical Paperwork
« on: Feb 01, 2009, 02:51 am »
Ok, Student SM's!  Here is your new challenge.  It is Sunday night at 9pm.  You have just been tapped to stage manage a production.  First rehearsal begins Monday at 9am.

You have a script and a basic cast list.  There is a cast of 10.  It is a musical.  At 8am you will have access to the theatre dept's photocopier.

Obviously you do not have time to do all of the paperwork that you would normally do with a full week of pre-production.  Bearing in mind that you have at most 12 hours before rehearsal starts, what paperwork do you put into the "absolutely necessary" category for generation between now and then?

For the sake of this challenge, we'll say that the show is completely non-union.  Later on we may alter the challenge and toss in a specific union contract just for laughs.

BenTheStageMan

• Contributor
  • Sometimes all you need in life is a little Blue.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Olney Theatre Center, Olney MD
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Student SM Challenge #5: Critical Paperwork
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2009, 04:25 pm »
I would make a contact sheet and a Calendar.

Then a french scene breakdown.

Then I'd just cross my fingers and hope for the best.
"Show people are doomed!  Doomed to a life of booze...and pills...and heavy meals late at night!" -Judy, "Ruthless!"

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2009, 06:38 pm »
Definitely a contact sheet as the main piece of paperwork. I would also try to get a basic calendar made up too assuming one is not provided by the theatre.

My next step would be to get my prompt book in order. I never want to walk into a rehearsal without the script copied and any info/paperwork I am able to put into it. On the electronic side of things, I would get my e-mail distribution lists going (One for Full Company, One for RR (designers, director, etc), one for just Cast and Director). I know that is beyond critical paperwork, but they are critical steps for me to feel ready to meet the cast.
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

LisaS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2009, 12:43 pm »
Contact sheet, calendar, emergency information form, contact card.

And I would also probably put together my e-mail lists, one for the production team and one for the cast.

I would also want my script copied and hole punched, and would definitely have that going first.  (Especially if I could just leave the contact sheet, calender, etc. on the copy machine and have an asm get it during the morning or run to grab it on the first break.)

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2009, 03:07 pm »
Hypothetical question - how do you make a contact sheet before acquiring the actors' contact information?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2009, 04:16 pm »
Hypothetical question - how do you make a contact sheet before acquiring the actors' contact information?

Touche!

In this situation (which I've almost been in..haha) I'd piece together a contact sheet of what I did have, and have everyone else fill it in first thing in the AM so I could publish it ASAP

Other things I'd do - (other than trying to schedule a production meeting following rehearsal that day)
-Emergency Information & Conflicts Form
-Character/Scene/# breakdown
-Calendar (with giant SUBJECT TO CHANGE's all over it..)
-Put together my binder with tabs for scenes, musical #'s, in script and score (if they gave you that)
-Pull templates for conflict calendar, props, costume, and actor tracking to be photocopied

And that would probably get me through the first day, considering the first day could end up being design presentations (in that case I'd nab photocopies of scenic design drafts & costume plots) music work with the MD, or read-thrus and table work with the director, leaving more time to fill in the blanks..
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

LisaS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2009, 10:43 pm »

My answer is the same as NomieRae.  Through facebook and my school's directory, I can usually put together a pretty decent first draft.  Plus, through the directory, I could probably find (almost) everybody's e-mail addresses which would enable me to e-mail for any other information that I needed.

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2009, 11:42 am »
Re: contact sheet, I usually pass one around at the first rehearsal anyway to make sure everyone's info is correct.  If there's a number you're unable to find, you can always just fill in the blanks when you meet your actors.

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2009, 01:20 am »

Often, this information is on an audition info sheet or on their headshot/resume.  It's at least a good place to start.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:30 am »

Often, this information is on an audition info sheet or on their headshot/resume.  It's at least a good place to start.

But if you've been handed a show at 9pm on Sunday, will you have their headshots/resumes?

I'm just playing devils advocate here  :)
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

SM19

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • A Keyhole View of Krysta's Kaleidoscopic World
  • Affiliations: Kabaret Charitable Foundation
  • Current Gig: North.Light Theatre (Actor); Webseries "Butterfly" (Principle actor)
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2009, 12:29 am »
The main forms i'd make up would be the schedule, emergency form and contact sheet for sure. After that I'd get my prompt book started and put in as much as possible at that time. I'd also try to get a breakdown of the script done as well as a prop list (as much as possible)
Second Place in a Stage Managers Competition = Half of an Award Winning Stage Manager! :P

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2009, 03:32 am »
I would first make a basic prompt script by cutting and pasting the pages of the libretto since there is no time to type it up. It would be copied in the morning when you have access to the copy machine. Next comes any necessary forms the cast needs to fill out, like medical forms, company rules or production agreement contracts.  Third is a basic schedule for the week since the cast would most likely want to know when they are rehearsing.  Since this is a school show, we can assume the calendar is done since it is on a university/college budget and they would not leave that up to a student for multiple reasons.

You have multiple days to do everything else.  For a first rehearsal in a school setting, there is very little you need to begin since it takes so long to get rolling.  Students rarely come in, in my experience, with their parts entirely memorized and ready to be on their feet the first day.  Breakdowns can come after you acquire the full cast list and their contact information.  Props lists would be good to have the next day since you might be pulling rehearsal props.

Will you have ASMs?  Or will they too be assigned last minute? dun dun dun....

Shari88

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2009, 01:30 am »
Here is what I would put together:

Company rules to hand out

a quick photocopy of the script

Contact card

a rough tentative master schedule

I believe it is really important to hand out rules for the performers to look at and understand. It is also a good think to be able to have back you up in sticky situations. That is why I put it first.
Best Wishes :)

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2009, 10:31 am »
I would create a contact sheet with what I have, and have the cast fix it first rehearsal and then dist. it ASAP. I also would hole punch my script, and get my dividers going so I have some semblance of a book.  I also would have a contact info sheet ready, so they can fill it out, including medical information.  A Calandar too, with dates. After first rehearsal I would meet with director to make sure I had a good semblance of scene's, etc. so that I can create correct plots and breakdowns.  Make sure everything has SUBJECT TO CHANGE everywhere.

I'd also put a rabbit's foot in my pocket and wear a necklace of 4 leaf clovers, just in case.  ;)

broadway13

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2009, 12:42 am »
Well first thing is first. I'd read the script.
from there I'd create a contact list from the info that I did have and at rehearsal the following day I'd gather the rest of my information.
Start my prompt book.
After that, if I still had time I'd get the sound cues highlighted in my book so I could call them for the actors.
Then a good night's rest, because its going to be a long day.