Author Topic: Student SM Challenge #12+1: The old switcheroo  (Read 7583 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Student SM Challenge #12+1: The old switcheroo
« on: Apr 01, 2011, 12:53 am »
At the inspiration of mod squad member Maribeth, I'm reaching back into the vaults of my own high school years for this new Student Challenge.

As always, student challenges are meant for those who are newer to the industry.  Experienced members, please remember that we're talking about school and amateur environments here and yield to the new kids.

So here's the scenario.  It is November.  You are in high school.  You have been in rehearsals for the fall play since September and just opened your show this week.  It has four performances this weekend and four the following weekend.  It is Friday, you opened last night.  This afternoon there was a pep rally for the football game, also scheduled to occur this weekend.  Your lead actor (we'll call him Benjamin) chooses this particular time to walk out into the middle of the gym floor, sit down and start chanting against the current war in Syrilibganistania.  He is, of course, hauled off and suspended immediately. He is not going on tonight and chances are very good that he will not be going on again until next weekend.

While the rest of the school freaks out collectively over the antics of Benjamin, you've got bigger fish to fry. You've got a show tonight, tomorrow and Sunday - minus one lead actor. Fortunately, someone knows a guy who knows a guy who's got some time on his hands and did a show once at the local JCC.  Your challenge - get him trained up and get the show up without Ben.  Tonight.  It's 2pm. Curtain is at 8pm.  Your crew is... less than focused, but present and aware of the situation. Please, student stage managers, tell us how you'd solve this predicament!

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Student SM Challenge #12+1: The old switcheroo
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2011, 03:31 am »
Is the director around to help?

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2011, 09:52 am »
Yes, the faculty director is present but focusing his efforts in trying to get Ben unsuspended.

elizabrenn

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2011, 08:16 am »
what a good, practical question for hs stage managers...it happens.
i would add an annoucement into the preshow speech about the understudy change, so that the actor could carry a script (in a nice, unobtrusive black binder, of course) while performing and it would be relatively forgiveable. this way, instead of struggling with the lines, we could focus on running movement and major cues before the show. and, of course, a lot of attention would have to be given to specific blocking. after running through blocking and props and such, i would tell the new actor "relax, have fun, go with it". i think it would be really important for the actor to feed off the energy of the other performers in order to present an honest performance, not riddled with awkwardness and nervousness.
and then, after opening night, that's a different story. :)

MysterySM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2011, 12:52 am »
Oh goodness.......
I would also announce it to the audience so they know what's coming and give him a binder to have on-stage ( it being the lead and all, I'm assuming there are many lines) I would also call him in immediately and go over blocking, cues, props and maybe some general character notes for a few hours. Then call in the cast members that he has the most ( or most complicated) scenes with and run those until dinner time. Get some take-out, thank him profusely, and get him into costume and make-up.

It's funny cause this (sort-of) happened at my high school but the stakes weren't quite as high and I wasn't the SM ( I was on the run crew). We were doing Peter Pan and the actress playing Jane was sick so her mother kept her home- with out any warning until half-way through when the director finally got a-hold of her! She only had a few lines so our wonderful tigerlily learned Jane's lines about 3 scenes before the very last scene ( the only one with Jane) and went on. It was awkward and some lines were missed but she saved the day! :)

SMGirl1982

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Old Lyric Repertory Company- "The 39 Steps," "Little Shop of Horrors," and "See How They Run"
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2011, 12:13 am »
My first inclination, if possible, would be to replace the lead actor with someone who already knows the show (in some shows, there's always that chorus member that has half of everyone else's lines memorized anyways, or an available asm might work), then replace that actor with the new guy. That being said, not every show has someone that you can bump up. In that case, I would call in the actors he has the most scenes with them, and run them as many times as possible, focusing on cues and specific blocking, on the assumption that he'll be able to have a script on stage (I thought of some kind of book originally, but I like the black binder idea better.) I never would've thought of a pre-show announcement, but now I will if this every happens!

KDarby

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2011, 08:49 pm »
If a lead actor was not able to perform, I would probably consult the cast/director first to find some that is familiar with the show. Given that "Benjamin" got pulled out during the pep rally, that would leave several hours before call to prep a new actor that at least knows some of the show. Placing sheets of the script around the set might also help. If the actor is not ready enough to come perform then they could be allowed on stage with a script. Other thing that could happen is have the the SM (me) or the ASM go out with a script because both should be familiar with the blocking/show to not botch it completely.

It might have been wise for the "Benjamin" to have saved his war protests until after show weekend...

Off Headset,
Kate Darby

zddh13

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2012, 10:50 am »
I had to reply to this, as I have had it happen too me on 2 separate occasions, one I was stage manager for the other I was just working the show. The binder (or clipboard or book) worked well, my personal favorite which I was not the SM for was a cheapy handheld radio that we bought at radio shack. The actor had memorized the blocking and in the event that he was off the other actors agreed to help him out of a crunch, his lines were fed to him via an ear piece. As another actor was delivering a line, he was receiving his next one over the radio from offstage. 

My problem with the radio thing is that too many issues can go wrong (and did) and could cause major problems in the process.  At one point in a costume change the radio got bumped and moved to the vox (I think thats it) position, so when he walked back on stage whenever he said something he had the channel and his next line couldn't be fed to him.

DCPSM2012

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2012, 03:44 pm »
Had something similar to this happen to me on my last musical. Not quite the same, but similar. We had a faculty member who played one of the minor roles who didn't show up to a mationee, the role wasn't much, but he had a song (discovered later that he had to deal with an aggressive student), the booth was warned not too well in advance, but we soon discovered that the stage left ASM had a crew that could run set changes without him for a few moments, luckily had a costume, and knew all the lines and choreography.

Assuming that this is not the case, and that the only option is to use this "guy who someone knows", I would attack this in a few ways.
First, I would see if we have any wireless earpieces- bluetooth, whatever. At this point nearly anything would work- and connect one to an ASM or assistant with a script and his blocking. He needs to know where to go, and assuming that "Benjamin" is like the actor I'm assuming he is, we haven't seen his personal script since the first read. Problems are likely with the earpiece, yes, but it is just the blocking. Not that blocking isn't important, but he has a script. If something goes wrong hopefully he can improvise effectively.

Second option being to write the blocking into the script the "guy" will be using- but that means extra lag for him to read and comprehend it.

Next, I would send someone I could trust- an ASM with limited responsibilities perhaps, or a trusted member of the production if I couldn't do it myself- to sit down with "Guy" and run the entire show, all the lines, blocking, and general bru-ha-ha with him. It's only two o'clock. With two people running the show by themselves, it should take maybe two hours, tops. That gives us four hours to curtains.

If we don't have a costume, he isn't going to do us as much good. Schedule a costume fitting for four thirty if possible, or perhaps at the same time as his "read-through" if impossible to do otherwise. Hopefully this could take less than an hour (we are speaking hypothetically, no?) Leaving us with two and a half hours to curtain, and approximately half an hour before other actors begin showing up.

Thirty minutes to show him props and explain their function to the show. Get the guy enough information to improvise if he has to.

Six o' clock, introduce him to the cast, explain his position. Hand him over to a responsible party to prepare him to go on, then go get your things ready.

Cross fingers. Remind self to kill Benjamin. Offer sacrifice of caffeine to the theatre gods. Hope for the best.
"You can grow old, but please, please, never grow up. Not all the way."