Author Topic: Staged Reading?  (Read 3769 times)

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
Staged Reading?
« on: Jan 09, 2009, 05:32 pm »
Hello All---

I'm a moderately experienced SM who's worked on mostly musicals, and just did a children's theatre tour around the country.. and I just got a gig for a staged reading next week.

While I understand that a staged reading is not nearly as complicated as a full mounted production...is there any significant differences that I should know about? There are only two rehearsals then the reading.. will I be in charge of reading the stage direction? I always have the worst luck knowing which parts to read and which to skip over...

Any advice is appreciated!!
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Staged Reading?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2009, 07:16 pm »
Staged readings are pared down...treat it like you would any new work and keep track of any script changes made, etc.  Make sure you know what your director wants to accomplish within the two days of rehearsal to ensure everything is ready for the reading.  With two days of rehearsal will it actually be staged, or just the actors reading at music stands?   Is it a public reading, or an in-house reading?  Also, be sure to have binders for the actors as they will not be expected to memorize.

As far as reading stage directions, that depends on the reading.  I've done readings where the stage manager has been the stage direction reader.  The majority of the readings I've done, however, do have an actor cast for stage directions.  If you are the one that will be reading the stage directions find out from the director which directions they want.

Good luck and have a fun time!
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

Tigerrr

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Staged Reading?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2009, 07:44 pm »
I've done a number of public staged readings and they're really quite simple. Track the text changes because the playwright is gonna be too busy listening to be able to do it. It can't hurt to take notes on the discussion and ask if the playwright might like a copy (get permission first). Heck, the artistic director of the producing company might be interested in these notes (I've been asked by an AD before). You're gonna make a lot of photocopies. As for stage directions, just ask. It's okay for you to take rehearsal time to be clear on the stage directions.

Remember though that it's a workshop - people (particularly the playwright) are there to see where their work doesn't work. This can make them feel particularly vulnerable. Be sensitive.

riotous