Author Topic: Stage Manager gone Actor? Bad idea?  (Read 5178 times)

Caroline Naveen

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Stage Manager gone Actor? Bad idea?
« on: Jul 23, 2013, 10:06 am »
Hey Everyone!

I know I have posted a lot lately...sorry :(. So Mulan is coming to our local professional theatre's youth program. I've always wanted to play the role of Mulan, but have always been the only rehearsal SM, and the backstage ASM responsible for all the prop runs and set movements backstage for the youth program shows for the last two years. All I really have is a ton of impressive SM credits, but SM and acting couldn't be more different. On the other hand I have done well in some acting classes with the director. Since it is on of my dream roles I feel like not auditioning would be a mistake. Is this wise? I already have a reputation at this theatre as a great SM and ASM (the director claims he can't do a show without me anymore), but I really want to get some acting experience because ultimately I want to be a director. Not sure what the reaction would be though...I'm not sure anyone on the production staff has any idea I'm even interested in acting at all. If I were to get cast I think I would feel badly leaving them with no rehearsal SM, that would be awkward. Auditioning would be a fun experience, especially if going into it you don't expect to receive the part because they need you backstage...
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2013, 10:10 am by Caroline Naveen »

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Stage Manager gone Actor? Bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2013, 10:12 am »
Go audition. The worst thing that happens is that you don't get a part but you now have the experience of auditioning.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2013, 10:36 am »
You should audition if that's what you want to do. Be prepared for the possibility that you may not be cast because you've made yourself invaluable backstage, or people having silly negative opinions on why you are auditioning. You will gain insight with the experience whether you get cast or not.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2013, 12:44 am »
You should go audition. The worst that could happen is that you don't get the role and you end up working on the show anyway. And if you're the perfect fit for the role, the company will figure out some way, in the city that you live in, to find another person to act as the rehearsal SM/backstage ASM. There's always someone out there to do the job.

I auditioned for a show many years ago along with a carpenter. I heard the director say to the carpenter, "What are YOU doing here?" His passion was acting, and he ending up getting a role in the show while I ended up on the deck crew. Anything is possible. And it's not going to hurt you to audition. Go do it!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2013, 08:51 am »
Go audition!

I know I have posted a lot lately...sorry :(.

And don't apologize for posting!  :)  Break a leg.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2013, 11:36 pm »
A few years ago when I was still fairly new to the theater world (I was (and still am) a writer about theatre) I decide to audition for a show so I could write about the experience. I was actually cast as one of the leading roles. Looking back at it, I was horrible, but it was a tremendous learning experience. Go ahead and audition, but maybe touch base with the director in advance so the director won't be taken by surprise at seeing you on stage.

itsDani

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2013, 03:21 am »
I've been in a few of my school's productions, and it's always a very fun experience! I've found that it helps my connection to the actors by experiencing a show through their eyes.
Surprisingly enough I was cast as the leads in two different plays and had a ton of fun!
It was a little hectic though, one time I was a lead in a One Act that was a part of a festival at my school (the festival consisted of 8 one act plays). We were low on techs for that show so I had to operate lighting for 7 of the One Acts and then go act in the 8th! It was a little odd working in our booth wearing my costume, stage makeup, and a mic.
It was a wonderful experience though and I highly recommend going for it! What's the worst that could happen? Break a leg!

Caroline Naveen

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2013, 10:38 am »
Thanks everyone for all of the wonderful advice! I would go audition, but it turns out that I will be the production stage manager for this production instead of the ASM. I've never been a PSM at a professional theatre before so I'm a little excited! However, I will also be stepping out of my comfort zone and doing a little bit of acting in a different arena as well. Thanks Again!