Author Topic: Stage Makeup - Dirt!  (Read 17554 times)

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Stage Makeup - Dirt!
« on: Apr 18, 2007, 04:03 pm »
Hey everyone,
I'm working on a show called Urinetown, which I'm sure most of you have heard of... I was just wondering if anyone know how to make dirt for stage makeup. The main question i have is how to keep it on and not come off, and other great tips for a dirty effect. Thanks.
Carrie

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Stage Makeup - Dirt!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2007, 05:57 pm »
You can do a lot with basic stippling and sponging of cream makeup in shades of brown.  Otherwise, there are actually a few "dirt" products on the makeup market.  Try http://cinemasecrets.com/ for ideas.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2007, 11:29 pm »
You can do a lot with basic stippling and sponging of cream makeup in shades of brown.  Otherwise, there are actually a few "dirt" products on the makeup market.  Try http://cinemasecrets.com/ for ideas.

This really is your best option.  I did a rock and roll Vietnam show a few years back that had plenty of "Mud and blood and water" and the brow cream is the best way to go.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

stopthekitty

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 04:32 am »
i was in the opera Les Miserables at my high school. we used this stuff called Praire Dust. I think Ben Nye[spelling?] actually made it. it was great and despite how much came off on our clothes there always seemed to be plenty left on our faces!

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 01:29 pm »
Ben Nye makes great powder dirt in a number of different shades. It's of a good quality, you don't need too much to make it show up on stage and it lasts a while.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

bigak2

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 10:40 am »
You might not need this anymore. But for the dirty effect I sometimes take a cork from a wine bottle and burn the end. I let it cool and then rub it on the face. The burnt cork is dirty looking and according to how much pressure you use or how much it is burned down it can be lighter or darker. I learned this by helping with a small independent film.

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 10:49 am »
wow that's really neat and helpful! thanks! i've already done the show and we just used like eye makeup with different shades of brown. but that's a really neat and cheap way to make dirt! THanks!
Carrie

Jackson876

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Beautiful Creatures
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 02:27 pm »
We were being filmed as Civil War soldiers and our "dirt" makeup had to last twelve hours on a warm Louisiana day. A makeup tech had us close our eyes and sprayed our faces with spray waterproof sunscreen. Then we were given a tiny cup of burnt umber colored powder and told to smudge and blend it  onto our cheeks, chins, jaws and the backs of our hands to appear as soldiers filthy from battle. The sunscreen held the makeup to our faces through sweating and light rain.

riotous