Author Topic: Novice! need guidance for next steps  (Read 2160 times)

karas

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Novice! need guidance for next steps
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:27 pm »
Hi all

I have a day job in technology trading for an investment bank. A year ago I got an opportunity to stage manage shows which was non union and the timings for rehearsals predominantly were in the evening so I could squeeze it in my schedule. I was hooked and all activities came to naturally and with ease
Well I did two more shows after that and then had to switch my day jobs and the timings became even more aggressive! i work almost 12 hours.
The reason I am giving you all a little info about me is so you know my present situation and how I got introduced to stage management.
So the thing is I want to pursue in this field and learn tech- sound, lightining especially. With time factor I cannot commit to stage managing any shows so I think the next best bet is
1) Volunteer my free time at a theatre and learn the skills
2) Intern with an established stage manager who wouldn't mind another set of hands to help them with

Any other suggestions? Know where/ with whom I can start working with?

Thanks

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Novice! need guidance for next steps
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:17 pm »
There is a ton of information on the site, especially in the students and novices board, about how to get started.

You don't tell us where you're from-- generally speaking-- are you in a large city or a small town? Are there a lot of theatres in your area? Are they mostly non-union or union?

And, are you interested in eventually moving into doing theatre AS a day job? or are you just looking for a hobby?

Please check out the search bar on the top right as well. Some other features the site has: BTDT (Been there, done that)-- you might find some people who have worked at places near you. The internship database-- Check out some reviews for official internships and apprenticeships at theaters you might be interested in.

And, of course, feel free to keep asking us questions!