Author Topic: Should I go back to school?  (Read 3595 times)

jbreezy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of South Alabama
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager and Electrician, Athens Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Should I go back to school?
« on: Nov 11, 2013, 02:55 pm »
I know this question has been addressed before, in the format of "is going to college worth it" and "should I finish my degree, despite my college's lack of professionalism".

But I am in a bit of a different situation. I had attended a year of university, when I discovered that my identity had been stolen. Any loans were immediately put on lockdown, and I could not go back to school. I am currently doing a full-year apprenticeship designed to launch people fresh from college into the professional world. This is not my first internship.

As I look forward, to what happens when my contract ends in the spring of 2014, I am unsure what the best course of action is. I am going to apply for colleges, and apply for internships just in case my situation is not sorted out by that point. However, I have to wonder if going back to school would be a step in the wrong direction. By the time I finish a degree, the experience I gained working in LORT theatre will be fairly invalid. [It's like not using your degree: after a certain period of time, it's just a piece of paper.]

So do I keep on moving up while I have an "in" in the professional world; wait until I have been here several years, and I have definitely gotten a name and useful experience, THEN go back to school? Or do I go back to school, and start all over again after graduation?

EDIT:
To clarify, I would not be pursing something as specific as a BFA in Stage Management.. I would go back to something similar to the  track I was on previously: General Theatre BA with a focus in either Stage Management or Directing, minor in Communications. Going for a degree as specific as a SM BFA would, in my opinion, be a waste of money down the road when I need to pick up some other kind of gig to stay afloat, or if I just want to take a year and try something different on the artistic department. (I know it will happen, it happens to everyone.)
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2013, 04:12 pm by jbreezy »
The moment you decide to stop learning is the moment you become bad at your job.

jcarey

• New to Town
  • Stage Manager and Lifetime Student
    • View Profile
    • James D Carey on LinkedIn
  • Affiliations: UNCSA, USITT
  • Current Gig: BFA Stage Management, UNCSA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Should I go back to school?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2013, 03:21 pm »
I would say to base it off of where your career is now. If you keep getting work and are not being hindered by the lack of a degree, then go I wouldn't see any need for it.
However, if you are being turned down and cannot move up past internships because of not having a degree then maybe it is the right choice. You will always have the connections and networking you made in this time, even if you take time to get a degree.

It sounds like you did just the right thing by continuing to move yourself forward.
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

- Douglas Adams

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2013, 04:00 pm »
I discourage going to school for a specific job - a college education is about much more then learning how to stage manage - you are going to get a rounded education that is going to make you a better person more so then a better stage manager.  It also should be opening your eyes to new things, new opportunities, and challenging yourself to grow.

Just remember that, although you may think you want to be a stage manager now, you mind find out later that you want to do other things with your life, and some of those things may be helped if you have a degree under your belt - how many jobs require a college degree - or perhaps an advance degree.  It will be much harder, perhaps, to go back to school later in your life. 

I would always push for an undergraduate degree (I am more hesitant to blanket endorse a graduate degree without knowing more about a person.)  Mostly, because I have said before, a lot of people who think they want to stage manage at a younger age may find as they mature and the requirements of the job further down the career path grow - may find they are not as good as a fit as they thought.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

jbreezy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of South Alabama
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager and Electrician, Athens Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2013, 04:08 pm »
Just remember that, although you may think you want to be a stage manager now, you mind find out later that you want to do other things with your life, and some of those things may be helped if you have a degree under your belt - how many jobs require a college degree - or perhaps an advance degree.  It will be much harder, perhaps, to go back to school later in your life. 

I would not go back to school for a degree in Stage Management, specifically. I would go back to the track I was on previously: General Theatre BA with a focus in Directing, minor in Communications. Going for such a specific degree would definitely be a waste of money down the road.
The moment you decide to stop learning is the moment you become bad at your job.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2013, 11:37 pm »
Then I think you should explore the option to go back to school.

I remember shadowing on Broadway, and one of the SM's who called the show was looking to go back to school to get their degree - since they were done with stage management - and he didn't have a degree to move forward down his intended career path.  He had only every stage managed one show in his life, and it was on Broadway.  It's weird.

School is good - helps open new possible options.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2013, 12:44 pm »
First - what a shocking way to put a hold on your college career! It sounds like you're very resilient, and made the very best of a terrible situation. Well done!

I'll vote heartily for returning to school, assuming your situation allows it. You can and have found work and experienced a LORT production setting, and that will stand you in good stead, and may even help you into more advanced courses and projects in whatever college program you pursue. Finding more work is (I imagine) not so very hard for you at this point.

Going back to school is hard. It's a big change of mindset, a big change of schedule, etc. Do it now, before you have other obligations and needs that make it tough to adapt quickly. If you can, enter a college program that will allow (maybe even encourage) concurrent professional development, and continue nurturing your internship/apprenticeship/PA work opportunities.

Good luck - keep us posted!