Author Topic: SHADOWING: I've got $100...  (Read 8240 times)

Debo123

• Contributor
    • View Profile
SHADOWING: I've got $100...
« on: Nov 11, 2005, 06:33 pm »
to use towards my thesis, which is in Stage Managment.
I am located in Boston.
What I think I'd like to do with that money is go to NYC and shadow some SMs on Broadway shows and also have the chance to meet/talk with them about their careers- I'll gladly throw down for a beer or two and maybe I can even schedule it to coincide with the bar nights that were being discussed on another post about networking in NY.
(It's not that I want to necessarily do Broadway one day, it's more that I'm fascinated by all the technical stuff at their disposal, and the complicatedness of it all is simply awesome. Understand I mean no disrespect to anyone who's not on Bway, nor do I think it's less worthy by any means - I just think the scale of those productions is such a cool testament about how far technical theater can truly go.)
That said, does anyone know someone, or is anyone out there on a Broadway/off-Bway SM staff who might be willing to let me come and shadow a show? Or, a rehearsal would also be extraordinarily cool (oooh, maybe a tech rehearsal??)  and very possibly even more beneficial to my education. I did this in the West End in London, but I want to see it stateside as well, if possible. I'm not sure what weekend I'll actually get to NY but if anyone has any contacts I could seek out-  that would give me a great jumping off place.
Additionally, I'm from Northern CA. If anyone knows anyone in the SM staff at Berkeley Rep or ACT- it would be so cool to shadow them too... and I could do that while I was home.

Finally, if anyone has any other suggestions about how I could better use that money towards educating myself about stage management, I am all ears.
(hmm... sorry i I got OT in my own post. I have a lot of ideas about this and I wanted to try to explain fully).
Thanks for any and all replies!
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 10:43 pm by PSMKay »

youngthespian

• New to Town
    • View Profile
I've got $100...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2005, 02:03 pm »
I am from Berkeley I know of Stage managers Ritz Gray for Cal Shakes, Kevin johnson for Berkeley Rep/Aurora

Hope this helps.

Estie