Author Topic: SHADOWING: getting a glimpse of backstage on broadway?  (Read 6295 times)

Brandywine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Book: Stage Manager's Survivors Guide
  • Current Gig: City Lights Theater and Epic Immersive
  • Experience: Professional
hi all :-)

I'm going to see my first ever broadway show this Friday, haazah for Spamalot!! (living in California I don't get out to NY all that often). being a Friday night I'm guessing the crew/sm is going to want to either head out for a night of fun - or sleep right after th show. But I would LOOOOOOOOOOOVE the chance to just walk backstage. see what the sm station looks like and be a techie geek.

I was thinking of waiting by the stagedoor after - but wondering, did anyone have suggestions for how best to approach it? I don't want to be an inconvience to the sm or crew - and i'm clueless on the proper ettiquette of something like this. any advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)

thank you!!
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 10:29 pm by PSMKay »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
backstage
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2005, 09:14 pm »
my advice, any request like that should be done in advance directly with the SM - showing up and asking.  Friday's may be hard, given their weekend performances, but never hurts to ask.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
getting a glimpse of backstage on broadway?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2005, 09:37 pm »
you shd be able to find out who the psm/sms are ahead of time, but just in case, you shd write a nice, personal note explaining that you are a SM from out of town and ask for a walk-thru or to meet and greet after the show - and drop it at the stage door prior to half-hour.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2005, 02:10 pm »
I agree with writing a note to the PSM,SM.
I did that for "Phantom of the Opera" ten years ago, and I got a backstage tour and a sit down discussion with the PSM! It made me decide to do this for a living.
If you get a tour, be sure to send a thank you note afterwards!

Brandywine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Book: Stage Manager's Survivors Guide
  • Current Gig: City Lights Theater and Epic Immersive
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2005, 09:55 pm »
thank you all! GREAT idea about the note. I'll give it a shot - because it never hurts to ask! :)

thanks again!

jpaskey

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Re: SHADOWING: getting a glimpse of backstage on broadway?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2015, 12:48 pm »
I recently shadowed the PSM of The Last Ship!  I sent a letter to the stage door address, and got a response by email about two weeks later.  I had seen the show during the Chicago pre-broadway run while I was at a summer program, so they were happy to see someone who had genuine interest in seeing how the show was developing from front and back of house!

My advice - just send a letter.  The worst they could do is say no.

riotous