Author Topic: Shadowing: General Q&A  (Read 122047 times)

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Shadowing: General Q&A
« Reply #105 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:00 pm »
I don't know who it is, but you might try getting in touch with the venue- they might be willing to pass the message along. Or, once the show is in town, dropping off a letter at the stage door.

jmenass

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #106 on: Mar 31, 2015, 02:35 pm »
A little out of date, but good reference that the Theatrical Index will tell you who the PSM is of Broadway, Off-Broadway and National tours as well as some regional.

brynneanika

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #107 on: Oct 26, 2015, 10:49 pm »
I had no idea that Broadway tours can give you the opportunity to shadow a professional Stage Manager doing their work. That sounds like an amazing opportunity! Is it a rare opportunity to shadow a Broadway stage manager or do they allow this a lot?

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #108 on: Oct 27, 2015, 08:56 am »
It all depends on the show and the stage manager.  Some stage managers are very invested in interacting and training the next generation.  Others not as much.  It will also depend on where they are in the run of the show itself.  You are more likely to have success shadowing a stage manager on a long running show where the routine of the show is pretty much set and having an extra person around won't throw things off, as opposed to a show that is just opened and still settling in to its run.

londoncalling

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Apr 14, 2016, 01:53 am »
Hi everyone! Last week I was able to shadow a stage manager on a Broadway show for the first time! I have tried emailing the production's enquiries email in the past, but never got a response. This time I went to go see a musical on Broadway  and during intermission, I asked the House manager to pass on a note to one of the stage managers. In the note I briefly explained some information about myself, such as how I got involved in theatre and how passionate about it I am, then asked to shadow a calling of the show and left my email and phone number. They emailed back the next day and I shadowed another one of their shows. I highly recommend this for anyone who is interested in stage managing because it was an incredible experience and it was amazing to talk to the stage managers and crew and see what stage managing is really like on a professional level!!! :) :)

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #110 on: Apr 14, 2016, 05:00 am »
Hi everyone! Last week I was able to shadow a stage manager on a Broadway show for the first time! I have tried emailing the production's enquiries email in the past, but never got a response. This time I went to go see a musical on Broadway  and during intermission, I asked the House manager to pass on a note to one of the stage managers. In the note I briefly explained some information about myself, such as how I got involved in theatre and how passionate about it I am, then asked to shadow a calling of the show and left my email and phone number. They emailed back the next day and I shadowed another one of their shows. I highly recommend this for anyone who is interested in stage managing because it was an incredible experience and it was amazing to talk to the stage managers and crew and see what stage managing is really like on a professional level!!! :) :)

Great tactic!  Glad this worked out for you. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

renal

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Feb 24, 2017, 05:43 pm »
I'm hoping to shadow some shows on Broadway but I'm having trouble finding the PSM/SM's name's for show's I'm interested in shadowing, is it acceptable to simply address a letter to "The Stage Manager", or is there a reliable way to find out who is Stage Managing? I've looked at sites like Broadway League and Playbill and haven't had any luck.

Any advice would be appreciated!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #112 on: Mar 10, 2017, 06:57 am »
You can purchase a copy of the Theaterical Index from the Drama Bookstore - should list recent PSM for each show - but although there is sometimes a six month lag in updating.

https://theatricalindex.com/registration

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

SydneyTurturro

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Temple University
  • Current Gig: Sleep No More Intern
« Reply #113 on: Jun 16, 2017, 08:13 am »
I too am interested in shadowing a Broadway SM while I'm doing my internship in the city this summer and I've been having difficulty finding the email addresses for the theaters/PSMs. Does anyone have any advice on how to gain this information?

chadparkerla

• New to Town
  • Creative Stage Manager
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Current Gig: Love Songs for Chromolume Theatre at The Attic, AEsopera at Hollywood Fringe Festival
« Reply #114 on: Jun 23, 2017, 11:28 pm »
You can sometimes find the email address by searching various publications, but I've honestly never been too successful that way.

The most success I had was a nicely typed professional letter which I put in an envelope and addressed to the stage manager. I walked to the stage entrance and gave it to security and asked them to deliver it.

In my letter I introduce myself, told them about my goals, and gave my cell phone number and email address. I asked if shadowing was possible and asked them if they would contact me and let me know. Most contacted me via email or text and we set it up relatively easily.

I also said I'd love to have coffee with them if shadowing wasn't possible. (Some companies may not allow shadowing)

It usually took one to three days to get a reply. I'd suggest dropping off the letter early in the run (But not the first or second day, those are crazy busy for a SM and you may get lost in the shuffle)

Be professional and polite and you will be more successful than you might expect.

Chad

I too am interested in shadowing a Broadway SM while I'm doing my internship in the city this summer and I've been having difficulty finding the email addresses for the theaters/PSMs. Does anyone have any advice on how to gain this information?
​"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo