Author Topic: Shadowing: General Q&A  (Read 122383 times)

Here2serv

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: "Shadowing" Stage Managers?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2007, 01:01 am »
That is a perfect seat. I was in D when I went. I was also pretty much dead center with the stage. Enjoy and fill me in on how well you liked it.
~pay it forward~

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2007, 08:54 pm »
I am not sure how I would look at observations on the resume.  I think it would read as resume filler more then anything.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:08 pm »
I am not sure how I would look at observations on the resume.  I think it would read as resume filler more then anything.

Ditto.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2007, 03:34 pm »
I don't think you should list shadowing on your resume, but you could write about it in your cover letter if the experience applies to the job you are trying to get.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2007, 01:47 pm »
It just comes across like filler - I have no experience working at your level, but I have watched other people do it. 

Why not list all the shows I have ever seen?

It may have it's place on an educational resume - when applying for internships or possible first job outside of school, but it should go away very quickly.

Posted on: December 28, 2007, 03:43:42 PM
I just thought where this could go . . . in a C.V. - I can see it having a place there since CVS seem to go and on and on and on and on.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nmno

« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2007, 02:22 pm »

Ditto.

I watch a lot of football - doesn't mean I'm qualified to put on pads, grab a pigskin and take the field as quarterback....

Perhaps it would come up in an interview...  "Well, I had the opportunity to observe the PSM call Wicked on Broadway and it made me realize...."  Observations do show that you are creating learning opportunities for yourself, which is good, but really only goes so far.  If you put your shadowing on your resume, I'd wonder what else you were padding.  Were you *really* the ASM or did you make coffee and just sit and watch rehearsal...?

SummerShakespeare

• New to Town
  • Good Googly Moogly!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2007, 03:40 am »
It was amazing! It was my first time seeing the show and I was blown away and then I did get to go and talk to the SM afterwards and that was the best part! He showed me the prompt book and it was set up just like mine and i think that was the best Christmas present ever!!!
All on the same G.O.

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:37 pm »
It may have it's place on an educational resume - when applying for internships or possible first job outside of school, but it should go away very quickly.

I have seen them listed as workshops or masterclasses... but they should be the first to go when trimming the resume!!
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

scotty011

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2007, 04:05 am »
This sounds like a great idea....I am in Melbourne Australia and I went onto the websites of the major productions on here at the moment (Priscilla, Phantom etc) none of them have any contact details though. How did you guys get the email addresses of the SMs/PSMs to ask if you could shadow them?

Thanks!

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:20 am »
This sounds like a great idea....I am in Melbourne Australia and I went onto the websites of the major productions on here at the moment (Priscilla, Phantom etc) none of them have any contact details though. How did you guys get the email addresses of the SMs/PSMs to ask if you could shadow them?

Thanks!

If I don't know the stage manager I write them letters c/o the theater or show letting them know my interest in shadowing them.  If this is something they are able to do at the time then they typically have emailed me and we continue corresponding in that manner to set up a date, etc.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

scotty011

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:34 pm »
Thanks BeckkyGG! Much appreciated! I shall do!

Debo123

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:56 pm »
I suggest calling administrative phone numbers at the theatres where the tours are coming through. I did this once before in college, and just asked whoever answered the phone if they would be willing to pass a message on to the show's stage management staff -- "I'm a student in the area studying stage management and would like to come shadow you/your team on a show if it's possible." I only did this once in college but it worked. It did take them awhile to call me back though; I'm sure they're busy. When I went to London for a few days I emailed British SMA and they forwarded my contact info out- I got more offers to shadow than I could take!

imrnthewicked

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2008, 11:31 pm »

Thanks!

If I don't know the stage manager I write them letters c/o the theater or show letting them know my interest in shadowing them.  If this is something they are able to do at the time then they typically have emailed me and we continue corresponding in that manner to set up a date, etc.

That's what I did also.  I provided my contact info in my letter, and I just addressed it:
The Stage Manager
c/o The Name of the Show
The Address of the Theatre

When I got an e-mail back, we worked out dates and other details that way.
Also, I did a touring show (Wicked) and wanted to make sure there was enough time to get a response, so I sent the letter to the city where the show was stopped before it came here.  That way, there were more dates open once they responded.

I also know someone who just stopped by the stage door one day after a show, and asked to talk to the SM.  This seems a bit bold and unprofessional to me though.

SGU312

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, Syracuse University
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2008, 01:43 am »
Today I shadowed the stage manager for the show Jersey Boys, it was a great experience. Its kind of funny how it was set up, as the director for the show this year at my high school used to work at the theatre Jersey Boys was playing at (the theatre is where touring shows play, but also where local shows play at too) and will be in a show there in a few months. I had asked if I could shadow the stage manager for Jersey Boys after first seeing it and she had thought that it would not work out since it was a touring show. Then earlier this week as I was putting together paperwork for our show, I got an email saying she was able to set up a show I could shadow at.
Overall it was a great experience seeing such a large scale show from behind the scenes (literally, the SM was calling cues from backstage off of one color TV monitor and two other TV monitors, and was up on a platform above the stage floor) and everyone was super nice. I'm going to try to shadow more shows now  :)

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2008, 11:24 pm »

I am going to be in vegas Tomorrow and go see "Phantom" at the Ventain

I saw the B'way touring production of Phantom last week as it's currently playing in my city.  It's was fabulous!  Being a techie at heart I was totally geeking out.   :D   

I also happen to be fortunate enough to know the production supervisor for the theatre where it's playing and he's been able to arrange for me to sit in one of the production offices backstage and watch the show via the video monitor and listen to it being called over the clear com biscuit.  I might be able to sit backstage, but he wasn't making any promises.  Regardless of where I observe from, I'm still hoping to be able to meet the SM and chat a bit. I'm going this weekend.  I can't wait!!!