Onstage > Students and Novice Stage Managers

Shadowing: General Q&A

<< < (2/23) > >>

MatthewShiner:
I offer this to pretty much anyone who asks me during performances.  I think it is very important for young stage managers to drop in and see how professional stage managers work, and get a sense of what the life is like. 

I had a chance in grad school to apply for a travel grant, and ended up going to NYC for 8 days and shadowing on 12 Broadway shows - which really me get a realistic view of that level of work.  I also got to go vegas for shadow on two Cirque shows and a maybe 5 other shows on the strip (I can't remember what I saw to be honest, is was a nice mix of old vegas, new vegas, and headliner - and I Chicago was playing, I remember shadowing on that.

It helped me personally get a sense of these shows and the difference between stage managing shows in school, in regional theatre with big commercial productions like New York and Las Vegas - and actually gave me tremendous focus to my career.

jspeaker:
Shaddowing on Broadway is fun too.  I did two shows while I was working in NYC in September/October.  Got some good connections from it as well.

smejs:
I shadow whenever I can.  I don't think it's something "just" for students, for as David McGraw's recent survey showed, we ALL have different ways we call a show or set up our script.  I'm not trying to "scam a free ticket".  I really think learning continues your whole life.

Erin

MatthewShiner:
The big note I would give in shadowing is don't use is a backdoor to get an interview or drop off a resume - it's okay after the observation to send a thank you and a resume, but don't spend the show trying to get a job.  That's annoying.

debos23:
I've shadowed production stage managers in Chicago and Las Vegas.  Shadowing has allowed me to know exactly what my goal looks and sounds and acts like, and that in turn has:  first, let me know I'm on the right track; second, helped me identify areas where I can improve; and third, tweak my approach to my career.  I am indebted to the generous people who've helped me so far, and I look forward to doing the same for other stage managers in the future.  As far as resumes and interviewing goes, I've only ever provided my resume when asked.  I do ask for advice, though, like "what kind of questions do you like an interviewee to ask you," "what do you look for in an assistant," "how do you avoid burnout," etc. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version