Author Topic: Shadowing: General Q&A  (Read 122320 times)

hsstagemanager12

• New to Town
    • View Profile
shadowing touring broadway productions
« Reply #45 on: Jul 22, 2008, 01:45 pm »
hello everyone, i am looking to start shadowing sms but as i am not in nyc, the only chance i have is touring broadway shows.  does anyone know how to go about the process of contacting those psms so i could ask them if they would be willing.  minneapolis has a lot f touring shows but i dont know how to get into contact with them...

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Shadowing: General Q&A
« Reply #46 on: Jul 22, 2008, 11:59 pm »
Yay for shadowing, everyone loves it!  I've combined all four of our threads on Shadowing into this one big sticky thread for easy reference.  Let's keep it centralized in here from now on.

-K

bec.

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Aug 05, 2008, 12:35 am »
Hey all, I'm new to this board and exploring around and I was so glad to find this thread!  I had already gotten some recommendations to shadow at local theatres, but I didn't realize that tours that came through my city (Minneapolis) might be an option as well.  I'm so excited about this prospect!  I just have one question...

Would I be better off waiting to contact the PSM until they've arrived in Minneapolis, or should I contact them in advance by sending the letter to whichever city they're in a month or two in advance?  We have one show that'll be here for a full month (Wicked), but other than that, all the shows coming through will only be here for a week or two, and it seems like that might be very tight to get something scheduled.  How far in advance should I make initial contact for the shows with shorter engagements?

Thanks so much!

jemason

• New to Town
  • To survive in theatre, you need a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Aug 08, 2008, 05:58 pm »
Would anyone know any good SMs or theatres in the Portland area that I could shadow this winter (Dec to March), or in the DC/NY areas next summer?   
I stage manage, therefore I am.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #49 on: Aug 08, 2008, 06:28 pm »
When in DC . . . look me up at the Shakespeare Theatre in Washington DC (we are doing King Lear with Stacey Keach and Design for Living, as well as Taming of the Shrew).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Aug 11, 2008, 10:37 pm »
Look me up in DC/NYC area.  If I am calling anything you are more than welcome to trail!

Jess
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #51 on: Aug 15, 2008, 04:06 pm »
Look me up in the NY area when you're around.

And which Portland are you referring to?  Maine or Oregon?

Cherie B. Tay

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Aug 19, 2008, 12:59 am »
I just shadowed my dream show on Sunday.  (On Broadway)

It was an AMAZING experience.

I knew I wanted to work on this show since 2004.

The PSM calls the show from the House Left Mezz Box. It's well hidden.

I really hope to be able to PA or ASM/SM this show one day.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2014, 04:38 pm by CBT »

hsstagemanager12

• New to Town
    • View Profile
LOOKING TO SHADOW
« Reply #53 on: Aug 19, 2008, 05:07 pm »
I am a high school stage manager looking to shadow the sm of tourig broadway shows in minneapolis. how should i go about doing that? thank you for your help!

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #54 on: Aug 20, 2008, 02:10 am »
It's not for the touring shows, but FYI, the Stage Managers' Association has an Operation Observation ongoing for the Children's Theatre Company in Minneapolis.  PM me for contact information if interested.

J

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: LOOKING TO SHADOW
« Reply #55 on: Aug 20, 2008, 02:15 am »
I am a high school stage manager looking to shadow the sm of tourig broadway shows in minneapolis. how should i go about doing that? thank you for your help!

You will need to find out what shows are coming, find the company they are with, and contact the SM on those shows through someone at the central office in the producing organization.   Example:  Say Avenue Q is coming.  Figure out which touring company they are coming with, get the production managers info, contact him/her and ask them to forward the letter on.  Allow a few months for this process.

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sep 21, 2008, 11:08 am »
I shadowed on a couple shows on Broadway this summer and it was the best thing I've ever done to help boost my career! I'm going back to New York this December to do more and I HIGHLY suggest anyone who is interested to do this!
Carrie

theatreannie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE, SMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager- Rutgers Theater Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #57 on: Oct 31, 2008, 06:38 pm »
Does anyone have contact for the PSM at the Met Opera.  I am very interested in shadowing an opera there this winter.

if you can message me or email me at theatreannie at gmail

thanks!

lineberger07

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:24 pm »
wow, after reading all of this i want to try shadowing!  I know some of you look down on Disney World SMs but since i am a Cast Member at WDW i have had the opertunity to shadow so many great shows.  But i am a bit nervous to ask to shadow a Broadway National Tour PSM.  But i will try....i was always told if you try you never know what will happen.

JECSM

• New to Town
  • "IMPOSSIBLE? WE'RE DOING IT!"
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: TTS at DePaul: Intimate Apparel, The Death of Gaia Divine
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #59 on: Dec 27, 2008, 12:59 am »
Hi all, I have a question about something that hasn't come up in this discussion.
I'm a high school student looking to major in stage management. This is my junior year, and I'm starting to narrow down some colleges, and attend performances at the ones nearest me.
Is it possible or even a good idea to request to shadow an SM in a performance at one of the colleges near to me? The idea would be to learn some things from them, but also get a sense of that school's SM program and structure in action. Has anyone done this before, and what would be the best way to contact and set this up if I should?

Thanks!

riotous