Author Topic: Shadowing: General Q&A  (Read 122282 times)

Bonus

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: "Shadowing" Stage Managers?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2008, 08:02 pm »
Well,
I am amazed! 25 years ago, when I started the SMA program that we called "Operation Observation," I never dreamed it would still be going strong all these years later. And all across the country!
I am so happy and proud to see all the young stage managers out there talking about "observing." And I am also thrilled that those of you who are currently calling a show have allowed sm's backstage to see how it's done.
Keep up the good networking!
Spread the word!
Take care.
Bo Metzler

SummerShakespeare

• New to Town
  • Good Googly Moogly!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:52 am »
I'm still hoping to be able to meet the SM and chat a bit.
That would be so cool! I hope you get in!
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2008, 04:29 pm by PSMKay »
All on the same G.O.

Techguy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Les Mis 25th Anniversary Tour
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:58 pm »
Does anyone know any of the SM team at the MET?  I am going to NYC in a week and a half and am trying to get an observation in there but I cannot get anything past the HR department....if anyone would be so kind as to help me that would be great!!

Thanks!!
Mitchell Hodges
Stage Manager

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2008, 04:54 pm »
I'm at Northern Stage in White River Junction, VT calling The Price till Feb 17th and also in rehearsals for Driving Miss Daisy (Open on Feb 29th).  If anyone wants to shadow us, shoot me an email at lcpomo@gmail.com

Scott

Kilodolcevita

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Shadowing: General Q&A
« Reply #34 on: Jul 03, 2008, 01:21 pm »
I'm a senior in high school, considering pursuing a collegiate education in Technical Theatre/Stage Management with hopes of one day acquiring a professional career in the field. While I had a rough understanding of what such a job entails (all of which I'm amenable to..) I gathered that there was simply tons of responsiblities that I didn't know about the job. I didn't want to get get an education for something I'd find only after attaining, that it wasn't my "thing".  So to cure any false conceptions about the job, I recently shadowed the PSM of the National Jersey Boys Tour for a performance during their run in Cleveland. It was a phenomenal experience to say the least, and many of my ideas about professional PSM/SMing materialized, as well as aspects of the job i wasn't familiar with. I was exceedingly greatful for the opportunity, but I now find myself again in the dark about a few things...

For one, I realized I only saw a GLIMPSE of the PSM's job while he called the show, and to truly understand all the perameters of it, one would just have to be there from the beginning. No, I don't mean the rehearsal process, because I rather think that'd be both impossible and tedious. Or vice versa. But to be there from the tour's arrival to the theatre, when nothing is set up, and you've got only a few days to set up for a 5-week run, before you pick up and leave again. I'm writing to inquire if anybody has ever heard/done of this?? I figure if you can learn so much in just watching the calling of one show, there has to be so much more that one doesn't see, until it's actually you there doing it for a living.  So i guess what I'm trying to relate is -- "shadowing" days before performances even begin.. Is it possible? Unheard of? I know there may be scenarios where extra bodies around would only inhibit the setting-up process, for a tour show that opens in only a few days time. I feel as if organizing a "shadowing" session as extensive as this, would be almost impossible to happen.

So...What do you think? I need thoughts/opinions/possible outlets...
and preferably in Cleveland, as I am still in high-school, and only an hour out from the city... but i think to do this would be worth it. Cleveland's Playhouse Square is offering a full season of Broadway Tours.. so it's just something to think about...

nmno

Re: "Shadowing" Prior to a Tour Performance??
« Reply #35 on: Jul 03, 2008, 04:12 pm »
Good for you to take the initiative and start shadowing.  I wouldn't expect a show to let you come in and watch the load in, etc...  There's too much going on and too great a liability (my show has had frequent requests from people wanting to intern - we'll have them come shadow the call, but other than that, we can't really offer much else.)
It's great that you are curious and thinking about it but, how to say..., you might be getting yourself a bit in over your head at this point.  Frankly, I think you might benefit more from observing/interning at a local regional theatre...  You'll be able to see/understand more, the PSM will probably have more time to play teacher, the theatre probably has some kind of program set up (an education or intern department), and you'll be able to see an environment that you are more likely to work in in the upcoming future.

Kilodolcevita

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jul 03, 2008, 05:36 pm »
first off, i appreciate your advice. i apologize if i sound over my head... chances are i probably am. i currently am interning for a technical theater scholarship at Kent State Univ. for their Summerstock program.. and i have to admit it was alarming to go from working on a summerstock stage to observing an equity stage full tilt for a day...  i figured going beyond shadowing a call was nigh impossible, but i'd rather that i'd have asked for opinions about it here, before i went about trying it!!! thanks, nonetheless..

GalFriday

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
  • Current Gig: Programmer for Hire
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #37 on: Jul 03, 2008, 09:46 pm »
I would recommend splitting the difference...the Cleveland/Akron Area has a wide range of theatres. I would suggest shadowing in an Equity non-tour environment...Carousel & Great Lakes are two places that come to mind but I have not lived in the Area for a long time. I would think these theatres would have more time to talk you through what is going on but still expose you to a more professional environment than a typical summer stock. You are very lucky to live in an area with so much theatre...and yet....a much less competitive environment than you might find in a larger city. Take advantage and remember there is a whole world of theatre outside of production contracts....   :D
"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" - Stephen Sondheim

Kilodolcevita

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jul 04, 2008, 02:17 pm »
wordd...

I actually have recently seen a few shows at the carousel, all of which were fantastically designed. I took your advice, and went to see who i might be getting in contact with staff-wise there, and it turns out the Production Manager of the Carousel is actually from my city, and graduated from a high school right down the street from my house, as well as graduated from the university i am currently interning at... it's a small, small world...

:o

GalFriday

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
  • Current Gig: Programmer for Hire
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #39 on: Jul 05, 2008, 02:28 am »
Was that Mike Stein? Is he still there - Wow!...I am glad they were able to assist you. Mike was the PSM when I worked there and would be interesting to follow.
"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" - Stephen Sondheim

Rebelsw/oapplause

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Shadowing Broadway's A Chorus Line
« Reply #40 on: Jul 13, 2008, 08:16 pm »
Hey guys I just got my letter back in the mail today and they are letting me shadow at A Chorus Line! I also sent out 7 other letters but am still waiting for a reply. A Chorus Line replied 2 days after I sent it!!! So overall, Im just wondering what to expect when shadowing the show? Has anyone ever done it before?

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
Re: Shadowing Broadway's A Chorus Line
« Reply #41 on: Jul 13, 2008, 08:19 pm »
I have shadowed several shows.  You will probably be asked to arrive about 1/2 hour before the show.  The SM(s) will probably show you their office, walk you through the preset check and set up you up with a headset and a seat near the calling station.  You will watch the show as they see it (monitors, etc) and be able to ask questions during down time.

It can be a great learning experience even for SMs with a good deal of professional experience to watch other SMs in action.

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Shadowing La Nouba
« Reply #42 on: Jul 19, 2008, 12:37 pm »
I'm going to Disney World in September on a very much belated honeymoon. My husband and I have planned on getting tickets for La Nouba one of the nights we're there, since working for Cirque has always kind of been one of my "dream jobs."

It occurred to me yesterday that I should look into shadowing while I'm there, instead of just getting tickets. Has anyone shadowed a Cirque show, or know if they do it? I've never shadowed a show before, so I'm not quite sure how to go about it!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Shadowing La Nouba
« Reply #43 on: Jul 19, 2008, 04:33 pm »
I shadowed on a bunch of Cirque shows in Las Vegas.  Contact the SM through the Admin office.  You might want to budget a day to do so, since I shadowed training during the day, shadowed a show being called and shadowed backstage.  I gave myself about 3 months to set everything up.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowing La Nouba
« Reply #44 on: Jul 19, 2008, 05:08 pm »
You might want to pm Dani (GalFriday) who SMs for Cirque, she'll probably know how best to go about contacting someone.