Author Topic: Internship (For oversea students)  (Read 2902 times)

fung

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Internship (For oversea students)
« on: Feb 01, 2009, 01:24 pm »
Hi~
I come from Hong Kong, and I am a current student, major in Stage Management.
Now, I am looking for Internships for coming summer vocation which are welcome abroad students.
Can anyone give me some references or opinions on this issue?

I really hope that I can gain more experience out of Hong Kong.
Thanks A Lot!! :)

BKrynicki

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
Re: Internship (For oversea students)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2009, 11:27 pm »
You may find it difficult to get a paid internship or apprenticeship these days...US work visa requirements I'm told are complicated and probably require help from the company.  My company for example doesn't have the staff or resources to devote (they've tried in the past) to the project.  So, the applicant is left with taking an unpaid position and entering on a tourist visa.  Unless you have your own funding to support you it will likely be difficult financially to make the trip worthwhile. 
Still, if there are companies you'd like to work for or internships you'd like to apply for (you can find many online) you should write and ask if they can help you with your visa application.  Research what is needed to obtain a work visa, don't ask the company to do that for you.
Best wishes for your search!

fung

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2009, 06:26 am »
You may find it difficult to get a paid internship or apprenticeship these days...US work visa requirements I'm told are complicated and probably require help from the company.  My company for example doesn't have the staff or resources to devote (they've tried in the past) to the project.  So, the applicant is left with taking an unpaid position and entering on a tourist visa.  Unless you have your own funding to support you it will likely be difficult financially to make the trip worthwhile. 
Still, if there are companies you'd like to work for or internships you'd like to apply for (you can find many online) you should write and ask if they can help you with your visa application.  Research what is needed to obtain a work visa, don't ask the company to do that for you.
Best wishes for your search!

Thanks for your information. Ans thanks for reminding me about the visa.

I've searched the information from the internet for a while.
But seems that most of the theatres which provide internship are from US...However, Does any theatres (from the Uk, German, etc) also provide internships for abroad students?

BKrynicki

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:11 am »
I saw another thread somewhere on this site about internships in the UK, see if you can find that one.  Not sure about Germany, etc.

riotous