Author Topic: Saving Prompt Books  (Read 4244 times)

MadisonSchultes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Saving Prompt Books
« on: Jan 14, 2018, 01:34 pm »
I've been a stage manager for a little bit now and I've collected quite a collection of prompt books. I've always been taught to save them, but I never knew why. I understand that if we ever work the show again, it might be helpful, but when I've worked on a show again, I usually just use all my digital files, and thats it. (I would also love to re-use some of these binders/tabs that are collecting dust in my closet to save some money)

I guess my question is what does everyone do with their old prompt books? Do you save everything? Do you just save the script? And if you do save them, what is the reason?

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Saving Prompt Books
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2018, 01:56 pm »
In my experience they always became property of the producer when the show ended.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:29 am »
The prompt book actually belongs to the producing organization, and should be left with them  If you purchased the binder and the tabs with your personal money, put the book's contents in a large envelope, inquire where or with whom you should leave it, and walk away.

Now that being said, there is no reason you can't photocopy or scan your work prior to turning in the book, and keep a copy. I like to scan my calling script and keep the virtual version with all the virtual paperwork in a computer file. I keep no blocking records whatsoever. Sure, if I KNOW a show is going to be remounted or tour and that I am going to be involved, yes I would keep the blocking as well. But not otherwise.

Your mileage may vary, but I see no reason to keep old scripts.  Except maybe one to show in interviews, if anyone ever asks for that anymore.  But, once i'm done with a show, it's time to move on.

I've been a stage manager for a little bit now and I've collected quite a collection of prompt books. I've always been taught to save them, but I never knew why. I understand that if we ever work the show again, it might be helpful, but when I've worked on a show again, I usually just use all my digital files, and thats it. (I would also love to re-use some of these binders/tabs that are collecting dust in my closet to save some money)

I guess my question is what does everyone do with their old prompt books? Do you save everything? Do you just save the script? And if you do save them, what is the reason?
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2018, 11:24 am »
I'm with PSMKay and MadisonSchultes; the final book belongs to the producer.
I do keep personal digital copies of all paperwork I produce, and sometimes PDFs of the script in an archive hard drive, at home. Just in case. I'm a resident SM, now, and in a theatre that does a TON of remounts. They had a server failure in the past few years, and some of the old SMs did not create very good physical books (or create them at all!). So its nice to know that I can pull up a props list from that show we did three years ago and e-mail it to whomever needs it, no matter what!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

riotous