Author Topic: Saving Old Scripts  (Read 4299 times)

bethanyb5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Bethany Briggs
  • Affiliations: SMA
Saving Old Scripts
« on: Jun 13, 2010, 02:04 am »
I've been SMing for several years now and had gotten into the habit of saving prompt scripts after the show closed. I guess I figured in case I get called to work the show again which has yet to have happened. So I'm wondering if anyone else saves scripts and if you do, do you get rid of them at a certain point?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Saving Old Scripts
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2010, 02:10 am »
Given that once you start working at a certain level, the script belongs to the producers, I don't have ANY scripts printer out from my past 12 years . . . I have some digital samples of paperwork, but nothing that I have to move around.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2010, 02:26 am »
There are sometimes issues of legality concerning retaining a script beyond the run of the show, so unless the producer has indicated they want my scripts returned, or there's a company library/archive/repository which deals in scripts and notes, I've always destroyed my scripts.

I've been in the practice of keeping show paperwork for 3 years and then shredding it when I do my taxes, but recently I've gotten in the practice of converting my paperwork into electronic formats (especially biography/contact forms), so it's likely that I'll start keeping stuff in perpetuity. (In an encrypted format, of course.)

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2010, 10:51 am »
Like Matthew, most of my scripts have ended up in theatre archives.  However, now that computer and copier technology has advanced, I have started scanning my prompt script so that I can keep a copy as well without having to lug around all that paper.  Those that I have saved are for personal reasons: the first show I ever stage managed (I get a good laugh out of that book 15 years later) etc.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2010, 10:52 am »
I have many prompt books with most paperwork in my personal home archives ( aka: a bunch of shelves in the basement).  I use some books (with actor/staff personal info having been distroyed) as teaching tools both at the community theatres where I work and at the University where I'm an adjunct (at school, I use the prompt books from shows I PSM there when showing examples).

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2010, 11:47 am »
I used to keep all of my old promptbooks (re-using the binders of course) in a box in either my storage unit or my room.  However, over the past year, I realized that it is kind of absurd to hang onto them all.   Especially because the majority of them come from Children's Theatre and/ or Summer Stock, I know the shows will never do a complete remount.  So, in the past year or so, I have started recycling them all.   I still keep one or two prompt scripts so that I have a portfolio piece incase someone ever asks to see one of my books.  (That has only happened to me once.)

Of course, all personal information gets removed from the book as soon as the show closes.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2010, 12:56 pm »
I also used to hang on to prompt books for some time.  I then reached the point where, as others have stated, the producers/theatre started keeping the book in their archives.  Storage space also became an issue, with moving around for a bit, and then settling in NY, I just didn't have the space and energy to keep track of all those binders, and my parents didn't really like having boxes of useless scripts in their basement either.  In the past six years, basically since becoming Equity, I have only saved one script (besides the grad school shows, since I knew they would want to see those for portfolio reviews, after which they too got recycled).  That was for the show I did for the Fringe last year, because the producers asked me to hang on to it as they were actively pursuing another run for the show (which will actually be happening soon, rehearsals start on the 21st).

bethanyb5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Bethany Briggs
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2010, 03:14 pm »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to start doing some spring cleaning.

I'm actually surprised that after working a show the producer never asked for the prompt script which is a big part of why I held onto them besides the fact that if I did the show again it would save me some time.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2010, 12:18 am »
I've always offered the book to the theatre, even if it isn't their policy, and while it's something they haven't thought about they almost always take it.

riotous