Author Topic: Rules on Cans  (Read 6608 times)

mhowson

Rules on Cans
« on: Mar 27, 2008, 09:46 pm »
Hey,

I'm new here so some introduction could be helpful. I'm Mark, and I'm going to be SMing an event for our school in a few weeks. It's the first time I've SM'd alone (previously we've been in professional theatres and I've kinda 'half-SM'd' before) - but this time I'm not only completely SM-ing, I've also got to train a bunch of people who've never touched a board anymore - wonderful.

I just wanted your input on what you'd say the top 10 rules for cans are, so I can make a nice sheet, things like 'Don't say Go instead say [...]' and so on... your input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

JPL

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
Re: Rules on Cans
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2008, 11:36 pm »
I'm pretty loose on headset, but I will happily fry anyone who talks during a standby.  More than once, I've had to say (in my most aggrieved tone) "Please don't talk during standby!"  Usually this is followed by a contrite, "Sorry, John."  Repeat offenders are run up the flagpole by their favorite body part.

John

wtcsrstaph4life

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2008, 11:52 pm »
If there is a slow spot with not that many cues, I don't mind people talking, but as soon as my voice is heard, all talking stops right then, even if that means mid word.
Don't say something about some one that you wouldn't say to their face, you never know who maybe listening.
Please try to remember to turn your mike off when not using, especially when eating.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:51 am »
Ten Can Tips

1: When I call standby, you stand by. At most, all I should hear is "Standing By", unless there is a problem
2: Cans stay on - and if you need to take them off (audio) make sure you can see the call light, and call "Off Cans" before you go.
3: Mics off if you are in a noisy environment
4: What is said on cans, stays on cans
5: Avoid talking badly about people
6: Try and do a cans check before show, to ensure mic placement is optimal - Remember - the knob that seems to turn up your mic DOESN'T - it just adjusts your side tone (how much you can hear of yourself)
7: Don't cough into an open mic
8: Cans are usually fairly sensitive, and designed to be used discreetly (ie amongst the audience) - so keep your voice down.
9: Get comfortable. Take the time to adjust the headset properly
10: Either have your mobile off, or keep it away from the unbalanced cans loop.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2008, 03:12 pm »
A few...

- When the SM says "clear" everyone is quiet
- No conversation after standby
- Personally I like an acknowledgement after I give a standby, so I'm sure the person heard it.  i.e. "Standby lights 134"  board op: "lights"
- Don't say things about people you're not prepared to say to their face.  You never know when the bitch boxes are on in the dressing rooms or who is going to casually pick up a headset when walking backstage.
- People inform the SM if they are going off headset.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

mhowson

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:26 am »
Thanks! Will add the form to the documents section when done!

Lester

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, IATSE
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2008, 04:24 pm »
Just to throw my two cents in,

The standby is a major rule, and make sure you establish it early.  There's nothing worse than trying to call complicated sequences when people are yattering.

I always refer to sections of script where idle chatter is allowed as downtime, so I'll actually announce "thanks everyone, good sequence, we're in downtime again", and then they know it's alright to talk.

Call ons and offheadsets, not the immediate second you put it on though, try and listen in case we're in a standby or a calling sequence.

Establish a standby order, and make people hold to it.  Mine is generally LX, Sound, Video, Mics, Flies, Trucks, Traps, Actor cues.  So make sure people hold to it, it makes it much easier to isolate out if a particular element is missing.

Don't chew gum, eat or drink into a headset.

Train your crew to acknowledge a headset check, followed by a volume check, and once that's checked and everyone is properly audible they will ideally not have to fiddle with their headsets.

Don't let anyone say anything that they'd be ashamed to say out loud, it's a pretty good general rule, because ultimately you're one of the ones responsible for what is allowed to be said on headset, if your tech team starts badmouthing actors, directors or anyone else and someone hears, someone's going to point the finger at the SM for why didn't they stop it.

Don't ever drop a headset or let it clatter, mic on or off.  We have wireless packs that are becoming damaged because people don't secure them to their belts properly, their range has dropped by almost a third from when we first got them.

Hope that helps.

ethiersa

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:59 pm »
my biggest rule is don't move it (take it off your head, put it down, drop it) untill it is TURNED OFF! and tell me if someone wants to talk to me. (i sometimes need to prepare myself to talk to an actors)

smccain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Stage Managing Life
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: I am the PSM for Theatreworks USA's national tour of Charlotte's Web.
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 05:41 pm »
My friend was stage managing a show at her college, and one of the technicians sushed her when she was trying to call a cue. He wanted to finish his conversation. Let's just say that after the show they had a nice little chat.
Sean

Trinity

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2008, 12:17 pm »
I've only SM'd two shows, I've ASM'd for two, and been part of many others.  I've noticed that depending on the booth set up will influence talking on the headsets.  Plus it depends on the SM as to how strict they are with responses, quiet etc.  Where I SM'd/ASM'd for the 4 shows, 3 of them were in a studio theatre where the booth isn't fully enclosed, so anything we said could potentially be heard by the audience just below us (we were about 3m above audience heads) The other show we had a fully enclosed booth.  When I was ASM we were in the studio theatre, and talk was much looser.  Sadly this meant that if anything funny was said, or there was a freakout due to something going wrong, they could be heard by both the audience and the actors.  When I was SM and we were in the fully enclosed booth, I let talk go... I just made sure my ASM's backstage maintained relative quiet so that their voices didn't travel out to the stage.  We definitally had a lot of fun for that show. 
When I was SM for the show in the studio theatre I was able to maintain relative radio silence for the entire show.  We did "'night Mother" with two actresses and after the enter the stage, they don't really leave for an extended period of time.  This meant my ASM backstage had litterally nothing to do during the actual show except stay onbook in case they needed prompting. (which they didn't use).  My light op and sound op were sitting on either side of me, and since there were few cues I was able to signal them with my hands instead of verbally.  It made it a bit more boring for us, and with long spans of no cues my light op fell asleep a couple of times.  But I think it made a better show for the audience.

Make sure you talk to your crew and make sure everyone is on the same page on how the show is called and what is and isn't appropriate.  I also like to maintain the headsets for crew only, and have cast send their questions through the ASM's to me.  Only rarely do I allow an actor on the headset and it usually is regarding a special question that goes quicker one on one.