Author Topic: Resumes: resumes format on the computer  (Read 5082 times)

youngthespian

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Resumes: resumes format on the computer
« on: May 13, 2006, 12:31 am »
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to write your resume using computer software like Microsoft Wordc (office) etc? I have a resume but it isn't the best format and would like to improve it.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 12:32 pm by PSMKay »

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
resumes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 01:27 am »
Well, appart from getting information by reading the other resume threads on this board (Have a look, there are tonnes of them), step 1: Forget using MS Word's resume template. They are shite!

Choose a simple font (Times New Roman, Ariel, Courier New etc) and choose a font size (size 12 TNR is considered standard). Don't do crazy formatting. Bold and underlined for headings, single line break between sections, if you need to go onto a second line, tab it in one tabstop. If you have a long list (ie skills), use two columns if necessary. Keep everything aligned left except for your address (top right corner). I don't bullet (personal preference), some people do... that is personal choice.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
  • Experience: Professional
What tends to work best...
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 04:08 am »
I'd recommend you check in first with production and stage manager types in your area - these are the people who will, in all likelihood, be looking at your resume in the near future, so their thoughts on formatting and presentation would be great. Not only does it put you on their radar screens to ask for suggestions, it also lets them know you are interested in modifying your approach a little - that you want to learn from them.

That said, I would also suggest that you look at how "autoforms" put resumes together. Disney has a specific format for online applications - the details depend on the position, but the basic idea is that you list the company in a bullet, your role, the dates of the engagement, and then a detailed, concise list/explanation of what your responsibilities are. As a student myself, this formatting choice helps me break the ice with potential internship coordinators; rather than just saying I was the PA, I can make sure they know exactly what PA meant in a certain context.

If you'd like to see copy of my resume, PM me.

megf