Author Topic: Resumes: Resume Formatting -What stands out?  (Read 15181 times)

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
Resumes: Resume Formatting -What stands out?
« on: Jun 09, 2006, 11:55 am »
For those of you who find yourselves digging through piles of resumes periodically, I was wondering if there is something besides a person's actual experience/qualifications that can make an application stand out, i.e. the layout or format of the document itself.  I was looking at the different examples in the resume browser and while they were, for the most part, variations on a theme, there were some pretty big differences in organization.  There's probably no "best" design, but what is advantageous or recommendable?   

I know the basics... keep it to one page, put contact info at the top references at the bottom, experience, education, and special skills in the middle, but is there anything else that can make a resume catch someone's eye- font size, style etc...   

And before anyone asks, I have done a search and looked at the other resume topics on the board, but they seemed to address content more than layout.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 12:35 pm by PSMKay »

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
Resume Formatting -What stands out?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2006, 12:22 pm »
I do think that a layout has a lot to do with a good resume.

My personal preferance is to use a few different, fun yet readable fonts for different parts of the resume.  For example, my name and address are in Monotype Corsiva, which is one of my favorite fonts.  I then have specific bullets for each show I've done, with of course the job, director, venue, and location of the show. The bullets are not  the regular dots, but these cool triangle looking things that are very professional but also a little more fun than just the black dots.  All of my headings are in the same font, such as Show Experience, Special Skills, Education, etc., and then the information listed under each heading are also all in the same font.  It looks very well put together, but adds my own personal flair to the page.  I think that's really important, regardless of what design you use.  Make sure it describes you while looking well put together at the same time.

One resume I have seen that caught my eye had the Name and Personal Info (Address, Phone #, etc.) and then had two clip art pictures on either side, one of the drama masks and one of a headset.  It was very nicely laid out so that the pictures did not overdo it, but brought a nice flair to the page so that it definitely stood out in a crowd.  You might consider doing something like that if it strikes you.

Look at the different bullet/numbering styles you can do, look at table style resumes, fonts, sizes, etc.  If you go on SMNet Resume Browser and look at some of the different resumes, it definitely helps to give you an idea of the variety of things that you can do.  I think in the end it's all up to your own personal preferances and how you want people to see you on paper.

I would of course be happy to share my resume with you if you would like to look at my own personal style and see yet another way to do things.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Resumes
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2006, 01:20 pm »
This is really going to be ask 20 stage managers, get 25 answers.

My opinion, and it’s just mine, you will see some disagreement from other posts.

1)   Simple fonts, and stick to one, two at the most.
2)   No clip art.  I think this is a more “cutesy” thing.  No, if that is your style and the image you want to put forth, then maybe it’s okay.
3)   No fancy paper.  Simple, nice resume paper.
4)   Not overly designed.  It should stick to a standard format; if you go to far off the norm, it seems like you don’t know what the “standard” should be.
5)   I am in the minority about NOT keeping to one page.  I think there are levels and jobs you are applying to where 2 pages is acceptable.

Also, remember, this is the first impression to impress.  Be careful about being overly cute or trying to be funny – you never know about the sense of humor of the person who will be ready your resume.  I was once sent a resume along with pictures of a stage manager in his daily routine.  It was very cute, I found it funny and put the person in the interview pile – my production manager was not impressed, and told me to pull it out.  At my current point in my career, I would not side with production manager.  Although I do like to have fun, there is a time and place for everything.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
2nd Page
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2006, 02:59 pm »
I should also point out that I am exclusively targeting my resume for resident positions and/or educational positions, that's where my two page resume would go.

I would rethink my resume if I ever became free-lance again and get it down to one page.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2006, 08:13 pm »
Add a me too for simple, easy to read resumes. I would say 1 basic font, a maximum of 2 font sizes, bold, underline and tabs/tables should be the only formatting in place.

I agree with Matt on the 2 pages is acceptable stance, however don't just fill it with "this show for so and so" "that show for whosy whatsit" - a page of that will not be read, just ignored.

Your resume has to reflect the person you are - in stage management, we are organisers, the center point of communication and we are expected to be professional. So keep those sorts of things in mind when you create it. If you were applying for a job to be a clown, maybe your resume would have clip art, scented paper cut out into a weird shape with lots of colour. Your resume is your first impression on them. Make it stick.

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2006, 11:17 pm »
I agree with all of this as well.

Mine is pretty simple, I just have bullets for the shows and just 2 different fonts in average sizes... I was just trying to say that you should make it your own and make it fit together well.  There is a way to bring your own personal flair to it without making it crazy.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make out like you should make a frilly crazy resume  with 10 fonts and crazy pictures on hot pink paper sprayed with your favorite perfume! haha!
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

nmno

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2006, 12:23 am »
I would also advise avoiding "cutesy" or "gimmicky".  No colored paper, no pictures, no cute catch phrases or quotes.  
Yes, keep it simple on the fonts.  I use one font for my header and Times New Roman for the rest. Boring? Perhaps, but it is easy to read and it's universal (which helps keep the formatting when emailing). Use bold and italics wisely.

I've changed up the order of how I list gigs - ie. organized by role (SM, ASM, non-Eq) or by theatre - depending on what I'm trying to say or hide or sometimes which just looks more pleasing/balanced...  

There's a fine art to "white space"  - too much and it looks sparce and sad; too little and it looks crammed, hard to read and there is no where to write notes.  Be careful about solving with font size or margin size (ala term papers).

I am a 1-page person.  If you do a 2nd page, make sure it has your name and contact information on it as well.  

Just as you have someone proof your resume for content, have them proof it for form.  Send a couple different versions and see what they like.  Let someone look at it briefly and then take it away.  Ask what they saw.  Now, what didn't they see,  or more importantly, what didn't they see that you wish they saw?

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2006, 08:40 am »
I second what nmno says regarding keeping font type simple and standard so that it is universal for ease in emailing.  Since so many employers ask for submissions via email, it's important that you choose a font that is common to most computers (PC and Mac) such as Times New Roman or Arial.  This way, when you submit your resume electronically, they see the same version on their screen as you see on yours and all the time you spent painstakingly formatting and getting your resume just perfect isn't lost.  And if you are absolutely in love with another font, you could use it for your printed resume if it is something that isn't very common.  

I've seen a lot of resumes, mostly acting resumes from running auditions, and I can tell you what I don't like easier than I can tell you what I do.

My resume no-nos
1. Using color for text, especially multiple color on the same resume
2. Using several different fonts, sizes, and styles.  
3. Wacky paper.  
4. Size 8 font or smaller.  
5. Graphics, especially standard clip art graphics from Word.  

Keep the format plain and simple, but still make it you, which is a hard balance.  Let your work on paper speak for itself, and then sell yourself in person when you get the interview.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2006, 08:59 am »
Quote from: "dramachic5191"
Since so many employers ask for submissions via email, it's important that you choose a font that is common to most computers (PC and Mac) such as Times New Roman or Arial.

Whilst the font advice is good advice - I would have to go one further. If you are electronically submitting a resume, it should be in PDF format.  In those cases, fonts do not matter. Neither do software versions etc. 99% of computers can read PDF files, and the other 1% are your people who still have their P133's (and by extension, are unlikely to ask for email submission).

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2006, 10:55 am »
My preferences for resume formats:
- No tiny fonts (usually no smaller than 10)
- No handwriting fonts. They look childish, not casual
- No script fonts. They're illegible, not elegant
- No graphics, icons, or anything other than dot/arrow bullets
- Stick to one font. Use a second font if you want you name and/or headers to be different
- Margins must be at least 1" all around your page
- Leave a bit of white space between categories; the eye needs to rest
- List a one-line objective or candidate summary at the top - something to summarize your goals in submitting this particular resume
- Always list appropriate special skills (playing an instrument, speaking a language, stitching experience, etc.). These extras can really make the hiring manager pick YOU instead of someone else
- Don't list hobbies/interests unless you're desperate to take up space on the page. You're applying for a job, not applying for a new social club
- Try to avoid all caps anywhere on your resume. It draws the eye away from other content
- I personally choose bold or italics for special text before I choose underline. Underlining looks too busy on the page for me. Bold/italics are more subtle

If you're applying for a show-specific SM position, I believe in one-page resumes. If you have more experience than fits on one page, cut your resume down. Don't adjust the margins or line spacing too much. Just cut your content. We don't need to see every show you've ever done. Your vast experience will be evident by showing the quality shows you've done, not the quantity of shows. If you're applying for an administrative or salaried position, I think a longer resume could be appropriate. In general, I support submitting references on a separate page, not on the same page as the resume.

And this isn't formatting, but as with all discussion of resumes - spell check! spell check! spell check! PLUS - have a friend look over the resume for errors that spell check wouldn't catch ("shoe" instead of "show") and grammatical errors. I see spelling and grammar errors frequently in resumes, and it's an instant turn-off. There is no excuse not to get this stuff right. If you don't have perfect grammar skills, find someone who does and have them take a look at your resume.

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
Thanks
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2006, 11:59 am »
Thanks for all the advice and insight!  Its been really helpful!!!

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2006, 05:34 pm »
Let your work on paper speak for itself, and then sell yourself in person when you get the interview.

For my current job, this was my key.  I rushed a resume because I was applying past the deadline (I didn't find the ad until the end of the deadline, and I emailed asking if they were still taking applications).  I discovered after the fact that I had made one typo in my cover letter, and was convinced that I had lost the possibility for the job.  I made it to the short list (to my surprise) and got an interview.  To make a long story short, I got their attention at the interview and made a very positive impression, enough that I got the job.

I am certainly not trying to advocate that a typo was okay in the cover letter, I am trying to illustrate that you can make up for a mediocre resume and cover letter with a good interview.  If for any reason you don't feel fully confident that your resume is the best, put that much more effort into appearing pleasant and confident in your interview.

-Centaura

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 11, 2006, 10:11 am »
Quote from: "mc"
If you are electronically submitting a resume, it should be in PDF format.  

Do you have the full version of Adobe, or do you use one of the free, web converters?  With the web converters, I've often found that they tag it somehow saying something like "this PDF was made for free using ____."  Do you know of any web converters that don't tag the converted file?  I haven't really found a need to purchase the full version of Adobe, but think you've made a good point about sending your resume electronically in pdf format.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2006, 10:48 am »
Well, that is a good question with a quite complex answer:

Yes, I do have a full version of Adobe Acrobat, however I use it for more than just stage management - I also do some work with script writers and acrobats commenting tools are one of the standard ways to do it (so it was worth the investment for me).

Yes, I have used free online PDF converters (and I do not know any that do not water mark the documents, sorry)

HOWEVER: I can give you the location to download a legal, free PDF creation application which will not watermark the documents - DOWNLOAD HERE - It does not have all the features of Adobe Acrobat, it is purely for printing to pdf.

Another option is to use OpenOffice.org instead of MSOffice (OOo has the option to "create PDF" as standard) - the feature set is comparable, in fact many say OOo is better than MSOffice.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2006, 03:44 pm »
Thanks for the link and the info!  I installed the program and converted my resume as a test.  It was so fast and easy!!!