Author Topic: Resumes: Need help with writting SM resume  (Read 16409 times)

OCstagemanager81

• Tourist
    • View Profile
    • http://
Resumes: Need help with writting SM resume
« on: Jan 22, 2006, 12:52 pm »
I am in the process of writting a resume with my SM experience and could really use some pointers.  Please Help.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 12:34 pm by PSMKay »

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Need help with writting SM resume
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2006, 02:05 pm »
Quote from: "OCstagemanager81"
I am in the process of writting a resume with my SM experience and could really use some pointers.  Please Help.

I'd be glad to email you mine to look at. I spent alot of time formatting it to get the most information on a single page, so it's easier for me to do it that way rather than try to explain.

Private Message me with your email address if you'd like me to send it to you.

Marcie
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
Need help with writting SM resume
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2006, 02:13 pm »
I'd also be willing to share my resume.  Let me know.

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2006, 06:51 pm »
As would I!!!  :)
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

wilmister

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Clybourne Park-Woolly Mammoth Theatre
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:04 pm »
Same here.  

Cheers
Will
William E. Cruttenden
AEA Stage Manager
Wilmister@Gmail.com

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
me too
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2006, 01:03 am »
what the heck, me as well
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
SM resume
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2006, 01:32 pm »
And I'll share mine as well. (Send me a PM)

In most SM resumes I have seen, you simply list the shows you have done, usually in chronological order (most recent first). Definitely include: show name, your position, theatre name, city/state. You might also include the director's name if they're particularly notable. Or if you've SM'd a concert, tour, or event, you might list a headliner or two. Things to fill out the resume to make it more than a list of shows include: theatrical employment (if any), professional affiliations (unions, associations like the SMA, or regional groups of which you might be a member), education (include special camps or programs in which you've participated), and other theatrical skills (props, wardrobe, carpentry, sound, light, etc.). If you have any specialized skills - playing a musical instrument, speaking a foreign language, definitely include those as well.

nikkiec

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2006, 05:20 pm »
So I've got a question related to resumes... one of professor I work with tells me I should put years on my resume next to work I've done.  My SM professro tells me not to put years on a resume.  Opinions?  

~Nikki :)
Done and Done

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:07 pm »
It can work against you, or for you. If I was a company SM, sure, I would list my term there (in years), however as I list only the shows that I think are big acomplishments on my resume, I dont date them. That I also do other departments, whilst an overall plus, means that in a resume dedicated to stage management, there are periods where I have only done lx and sound (quite a few really) which could be seen as negative.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
Re: list years or not...
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2006, 07:56 pm »
Quote from: "scoot"
The other thing to go along with that is BE HONEST about your job title.  I've had several young stage managers list themselves as ASM when they were PAs or PAs when they were interns.  It'll catch up with you in the end!

SHHhhh Dont mention that - As someone who has sat in the interviewers chair quite a few times, both interviewing techs and SM's, catching people out is one of my major enjoyments.

I usually check up on a few leads before even making the call inviting for an interview. And I make notes. My favorite lies that I see are when people say they were on shows I did. In fact I did an interview 4 months ago where one applicant said they LD'ed the exact same show as I was LD. It was a very enjoyable interview, we talked about how it was "One of his better works" and how complex the play was to light. Then as he left, I casually mentioned that next time he was going to lie about a show, he should check that he is not claiming to do the job of the interviewer. It still makes me laugh...

Honesty is the best policy. Because if there is a single lie in there, and that lie is caught. Then your chances of a job are shot. And if the interviewer is anything like me, they keep notes on everyone they have interviewed and worked with. Including contact details. And if you lie, said interviewer will ensure that if it is within their power, or they are ever asked about you, they will make sure you are not employed. I could just be an a$$hole though... Tis a cut throat world out there.

jazminhupp

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Resumes
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2006, 12:25 am »
Let me say the hopefully obvious.  Grammer, Spelling and Style count.  Have everyone and your mother read it over to make sure it is correct and clear.    If you are sending out resumes by e-mail, test send to several friends first.  Use a standard file format like .doc or .pdf, anything else can get mangled on the other person's end.  Not everyone uses the same computer, if they can't open your resume you might loose the job right there.

In the end it's really the people that know you that get you the job.  References are everything but they'll call someone they know who worked with you over your planned reference every time.  Make sure you prep your references for unexpected phone calls.

Your name and "stage manager/whatever you are" should be the biggest things on the page.  Complete and clear contact information is essential.  Your resume shouldn't be more than 1 page long unless you're applying for a teaching position.

When you write your cover letters please try and mention something specific to the company you are applying to.  We know what form letters look like.  We can tell.  I don't even read them anymore.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
Re: Resumes
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2006, 12:39 am »
Quote from: "jazminhupp"
Use a standard file format like .doc or .pdf, anything else can get mangled on the other person's end.  Not everyone uses the same computer, if they can't open your resume you might loose the job right there.

NO! Don't use doc. doc is EVIL. PDF, Plain Text (.txt) or properly written HTML. Maybe Rich Text (.rtf) could be pushed too...

There are a hundred or so pdf creation programs out there (This is a good one), all you need to do is install it, then in the program of your choice, press print, choose the PDF printer and it will ask you where to save it.

When you write your cover letters please try and mention something specific to the company you are applying to.  We know what form letters look like.  We can tell.  I don't even read them anymore.

Here here. If you get "Dear Sir/Madame." and the only mention of the specific job is "<job title> advertised in <medium> on <date>" it flys towards the bin fairly quickly.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Years and format
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2006, 09:33 am »
I say don't put years on.  It often works to your disadvantage . . . 1) It can show you only have been doing the job for x amount of years, 2) it can show you only do x amount of show per year, 3) or figure out when you were in college and thus used to figure out your age.

I also think that ultimately it's waste of space on resume.

PDF I think is the format to use.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

samthestagemanager

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
resume question
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2006, 01:49 am »
i went to a workshop that suggested that we put our references on a separate sheet on paper, not on the one page? is that a common thing or should resumes just be one page?

Debo123

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2006, 03:28 am »
My references are on the same page as my resume, but that is partly because my credit list isn't so long- it fits all the essential info perfectly. The whole thing is in 10pt font, but it's still clear to read. I kind of like it with the references on there because it's easy to read; it's all one page; no futzing with staples or two pages of stuff. Also this way, nothing separates in a stack of resumes- all the info is right there.

I think the bottom line is as it is with any document you create as a stage manager- from runsheets to resumes to references. Ask yourself is it clear, does it make sense, is it organized, can someone else understand it, does it give you all the necessary info? If yes, then you are good to go.

riotous