Author Topic: Resumes: Need help with writting SM resume  (Read 16408 times)

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Need help with writting SM resume
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2006, 11:24 am »
Some people HATE references on a 2nd page (I've seen someone on this website say they look no further at a resume if it's on the 2nd page), others don't care.  Personally, I've had pretty good response with a line at the bottom of my resume saying "References listed on reverse" and then, yes, they're on the back.  However, most of my resumes these days get sent as email attachments...though not printed out, I keep same format of 2 pages, though I don't list the "on reverse" part, obviously.

Everyone has different opinions on resumes...used to be quite an experience in college when every single professor told you to do something different.  But above and beyond, make it easy to read.  My resume has constantly changed looks depending on my experience levels (used to list educational credits versus community versus professional, or different types of theatre jobs...now it's headers of Production Stage Manager, Stage Manager and Cover Stage Manager), but I've generally been told it's presented in a clear format.

Erin

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2006, 12:15 pm »
It also depends on what the people ask for - sometimes you end up using crappy "We ask the questions in an online form, then allow you to attatch a resume and coverletter" web interfaces to apply for jobs (God I HATE online recruitment agencies) in cases like that, some of them ask for references to be provided in a separate page, separate file or what ever. As a general rule, the references form a part of the CV, and as such, should not be separated as an attatchment.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
references
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 02:06 pm »
My references are always on a separate sheet of paper. That sheet has a letterhead that matches my resume. I don't even put the "References available on request" on the resume - I think the fact that an applicant would provide references when requested is a given in any situation. If I know they want references, I include them when I send the resume. If it's a position that doesn't emphasize refs, I don't offer unless asked. I also have a master document of references (names, titles, contact info, 1 sentence about how they know me), and then pick and choose 4 or 5 references for each application. That way, the references are tailored to the needs of hiring company - whether they want to see supervisory/peer positions, technical/artistic, production/administrative, and based on genre (opera/drama/events/whatever). Diligent? Yes. Excessive? I don't think so - it's worked for me every time.

Tigerrr

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 11:37 am »
I just have to say that using this site's Resume Browser has helped me tremendously when drafting my resume!!  I'm still having problems keeping it short (at the moment it's 3 freakin' pages!!) but I'm cutting and cutting and cutting.  My problem is that I've done almost exclusively 2 and 3 week runs (nothing over a month), so there are times that I've done 5 or 6 shows in one year, all with different companies.  I also did more than a dozen shows prior to going to school, so I want to put those on there so people know that I'm not basing my experience solely on what I learned doing the BFA (i.e., I'm not some kid right out of school - I have real world experience too, even if it is mostly Festival and community stuff).

I've also been doing pro stuff pretty solidly for the past two years, but am only now doing my Equity apprenticeship.  Most of what I've done is independent, self-produced work, albeit with Equity members some of the time.

The other difficulty I have is that here in Canada, having a degree in SMgt is relatively rare since there are only a few schools that offer SMgt as a major, and the one I went to is the only conservatory style one in the country (my class had 4 people when I graduated!).  Not to mention that my alma mater is out west, and here in Ontario, it's all about the National Theatre School in Montreal.  Half the people I talk to aren't even aware that the University of Alberta even has a theatre program, let alone one of the longest running BFA acting programs in the country.  Sigh.  For heaven's sake, Paul Gross and Lorne Cardinal both went through that program.  (If you're not a Canuck, you'd have no idea who these people are, but they're pretty well known here).

Sorry about the rant, but yeah, the Resume Browser is HANDY!  :)

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #19 on: Jun 01, 2006, 10:59 am »
the Resume Browser is HANDY

Can anyone tell me what the password is for the resume browser or where I can find it?  I tried doing a search but didn't come up with anything.  I need to up date mine and I'd like to look at some examples.

Tigerrr

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 01, 2006, 02:49 pm »
TechGal - as long as you're signed in, just go to the main page and there's a notice right near the top centre.  You can't miss it.  Then just type in that login id and password and it should take you there.  The resume browser link is in the left column under the heading "Jobs & Ads"

diego.rupolo

Re: Resumes: Need help with writting SM resume
« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2009, 09:40 pm »
I'm going to revive this topic because it seems all the topics here are dead so we might as well revive one once in a while, lol.

I'm always so confused about references on an SM resume. I have always been told that the cardinal rule of (for lack of a better word) "normal" resume-writing is to not put your references on the resume. Mostly because it subjects your references to possibly hundreds of calls and it's kind of rude to put their personal information on something so public anyways.

Now is this somehow different for a Stage Management resume? Is the line "References available upon request" REALLY that bad? lol

bethanyb5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Bethany Briggs
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2009, 11:41 pm »
I list my references as available upon request. Unless the job listing specifically asks for references.
most of my work has come from word of mouth and and probably half of those didn't even ask to see my resume.
that is my take on it.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #23 on: Aug 16, 2009, 08:33 am »
Here's the thing . . .

I post a job I need to fill.
I get your resume.
I like what I see.
I want to check some references, but, it will require a 12-24 hour wait for you to get them to me.

I get another resume.
I like what I see.
Resumes are listed.
I can call right away, get excited about someone 12-24 hours earlier then I can get excited about someone else.

Remember, references are just a staring point . . . I have said before I rarely care references for paying jobs, I call people you haven't listed as a reference.  Unless you are a complete moron, I know the references are going to say good things about you.

What I want to hear from is someone who worked with you at the big theatre you only work once I.  I want to hear what you are like at your worse . . .

I doubt your references will be get 100's of phone calls, and if your are worried, get nine references, and rotate them out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #24 on: Aug 17, 2009, 09:55 am »
I agree with MattherShiner: the interviewer dosn't want to call you back and wait for your reply.  As far as your references getting a bunch of calls---I always inform my references when I send out a
resume(s) so that 1) they know to maybe expect a call   2) I know that my reference info is current.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #25 on: Aug 17, 2009, 10:10 am »
Just to put things in perspective . . . it takes me about 40 hours to fill single AEA SM or ASM Position - longer to fill a PA position or SM intern (odd, I know).  Recently, I had to fill two positions in the midst of rehearsing one show and prepping another.  Trust me, anything that would have slowed down my process would have have not been a good thing.

I always talk about how in auditions, if the director is casting 10 roles, he wants the first ten people to be perfect - so he can be done with the whole audition process.  Same thing with hiring SMs - I really want the first resume I pick up to be great, personable, talented, experienced and perfect for a job.

Wy put any obstacles up . . . the second I get you resume, maybe the moment I have time to make phone calls for references . . . if they are there, your resume may get shuffled to a different pile.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.