Author Topic: Resume questions  (Read 4260 times)

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Resume questions
« on: Dec 18, 2009, 06:48 pm »
I know there's a thread for resume questions in the regular forum, but since student SMs / recent college grad SMs are in a different genre, I wanted some feedback on the best presentation of a resume. My resume is not so much a comprehensive CV as it is a presentation of myself for job applications.

That said, what is the general opinion on one-page versus two-pages when applying for jobs? (My references are currently included on my single-page resume.)

Thanks for any help you can provide
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
Re: Resume questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2009, 12:19 am »
Take a look at the Resume Browser.  There are many real resumes up there in all sorts of styles and formats. 

For myself I keep my resume to one page, my CV is obviously longer.  As for listing references, I like to have mine on a separate page and only send them if they are requested.  I find most people don't call my references.  They look at my resume and call people I've worked with previously that they know and trust. 

Best of luck. 

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2009, 12:53 am »
Thanks. I've actually already looked through the Resume Browser. This is where my question actually came from. Clearly some of the resumes there are AT LEAST two pages if printed out. So I wasn't sure if I've been selling myself short by editing down too far.

I do appreciate the variety of organizational ideas I found on the Browser. I was just looking for opinions of perhaps people who have tried different ways themselves, or perhaps anyone who deals with incoming resumes at their theatre--what they prefer to read through.

But thank you Candy0081 for your input on references. I have just kept mine attached to my resume at all times, but I will look into separating them.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2009, 01:02 am »
On a resume, I tend to put "selected credits" and put my best work. Shows there's more. And I also put "References Available On Request" at the bottom.

I used to have a 2-pg resume- the first page was credits, skills, references on request, etc- second page was related jobs I had held (i.e. theater instructor). The "meat" was on the first page, but additional information was on the second if they wanted it. I just assume that they only look at the first page, and only add the second if they're already interested.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2009, 01:50 am »
That's a great strategy, missliz. I might look into that. However, at this point I'm at the point where my technical credits take up either a rather crowded single page or two rather empty-looking pages.

How empty-looking can the second page be and still be worth having?

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2009, 02:47 am »
Personally, I think most people only need a one-page resume. It's tough to cut things out, but I think it's better to leave off credits and have it fit on one page- keep the most relevant information, the shows that best represent you, and leave the rest off. It makes it easier on the person hiring- the same reason I put my references on the same page. One less thing for someone hiring to have to do.

I think it's less important to have a 'comprehensive' resume that includes all of your experience, and more important to have a resume that best highlights your experience and shows why you are the right person for the job.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:23 am »
I think there is a place for a two page resume, but it's at a certain point in your career - like 20 years down the line.  But it depends on where and what you are applying for, and what level.  Applying for a PA with two pages of resume is a little too much, applying for a resident PSM for a major theater or a Broadway production, two pages may not be so bad.

Putting "Selected credits" is unnecessary, as it is assumed, and I always see it as a red flag that something was left off on purpose - like you were hiding something.

I feel like you will know when it's time to have two pages.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2009, 03:09 pm »
Thanks for the input, everyone! This is all very helpful.