Author Topic: Rehearsal Report Format  (Read 5419 times)

arnicholson

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Rehearsal Report Format
« on: Nov 30, 2017, 11:33 pm »
Hello All,

So I am wondering what format is best for the rehearsal report. I have done it a few ways in that past but wanted to get a sense of what way others have found best.

1: Attaching an edible work or excel doc for production staff to send back w/ notes if need be
2: Attaching a pdf
3: Inserting the report into the body of the email

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Re: Rehearsal Report Format
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2017, 11:48 pm »
The latter two of these get used in most often. I use what the producer wants. Many want the report both in pdf form and copied into the body of the email.

However, I have never sent an editable version because my reports are not something that should be changed by anyone else.

MadisonSchultes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:38 am »
I know I personally use #2 & #3 in emails. I have worked with people who don't usually open PDF documents on their emails. I've also worked with people who require PDF documents so they can print them off. I agree with the above, I wouldn't send an editable version, because you send out your report, nothing should change.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:08 pm »
I tend to ask those receiving the report the first time around and see what responses I get. My general is to embed the report in the email for ease of reading and responding...and also attach as PDF. Occasionally, I'll just end up with only the embedded text on some of my smaller shows. I've never (purposefully!) attached a document they can easily edit.

Erin

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2018, 02:58 pm »
I always both attach a PDF and paste the entire text of the report into the body of the email.

That way people don't have to open an attachment if it's not convenient (it's usually not convenient), but the PDF is available for people who prefer to print them out or in case their email client doesn't like the formatting.

I would never attach something other people can edit. Most designers I've worked with tend to either respond directly to their notes by numbering the responses the same way the notes are numbered, or in the body of the reply, they write in their responses directly under the note using a different color text.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:46 am »
It largely depends on the company -

If I am working for a company where I know everyone will be using Outlook with corporate email, I will generally put reports straight into the email, because I know the formatting will hold up. It means that people can then search etc. It is just convenient.

If I am working for a company where everyone is a contractor, I send the report as a PDF and any key action points in the body.

This is not just rehearsal reports, this is any reporting - even when I had to do profitability or P&L reporting - I give the summary in the body so that those that don't really care about the nitty gritty can go "Okay, cool, we are $1.50 above budget!" or "Oh... we are a bit behind, maybe I will stop stealing boxes of gaffa tape and taking them home this month"

riotous